Four Perks of Working in a Campus Library

Where sexy and smart collide.

64

If you've ever worked on a college campus, you would know how convenient it is. There is no commute, and your bosses are flexible when it comes to working around classes.You should choose to do it if you have the chance to. I did. I was approached my freshman year and was asked if I was interested in working in the library. I wasn't too thrilled about the idea at first. A librarian? Would I just be sitting at a desk all the time? No, that isn't what the job was at all. I love my job as a librarian in the college's library. It comes with many perks. Here are a few of them:

1. You're surrounded by books all the time.

Do you enjoy a good book? Do you find yourself escaping reality through the pages of a book, becoming a part of the book's plot? Books are a wonderful creation given to us. The library where I work doesn't have as many books as it did a few years back, but there are still so many that are waiting to be read. As I organize my books, my eyes catch captivating titles of a few books, and I read just a little bit of them. Working in a library is a bookworm's dream!

2. You learn a lot.

Not a lot of our books are solely for entertainment. In fact, the majority of the books the library holds are informative. When I wander through and see an interesting title, I read some of that book and find myself absorbing a lot of information from it. I learn more from this than I do some of my classes. Think about it, you can go and pick a book on any subject and learn from it, as opposed to studying things solely in your major. Maybe that's why librarians are thought of as "sexy;" could it be that being smart is the reason behind this?

3. You get to know people.

I don't want to sound like a creeper, but working in the library is a good way to learn who people are. You know that cutie who sits by himself in the cafeteria and doesn't talk much? Well, when he checks out a book or movie, I get his school ID, which has important information like his name and age on it. When I'm curious about who a person is, I just take a little longer getting their ID back to them. You can also learn about a person based off of what movies or books they check out. There's a quick way to find common interests with that cutie!

4. You know more.

As a library worker, you find out passwords for so many things. You also learn valuable things like how to send a paper to any printer on campus. You know, the really important things. All head librarians, like my boss, are really smart. She knows a lot about what's going on around campus. Aside from the stuff she has to keep confidential, she tells me everything that's going on. It's because of her that I am in the know with a lot of things that students don't know about, or I'll be the first one to know about it.

If you didn't catch the common trend, let me enlighten you. Being a librarian makes you a smarter person in all cases. You become a well-rounded person. Who wouldn't want to sign up for that?