7 Perks Of Going To School Close To Home

Why going to school close to home is the move when choosing where you want to go to college.

187
Marggi de Lusignan

People have given me a hard time for choosing to go to a school so close to my home. While at first, I was a little apprehensive about it, I soon learned to love it. Going to school so close to home is definitely a blessing in disguise and the following reasons are some out of many reasons as to why I love being a mere 20 minutes away from home.

1. You have easy access to a car

This is definitely a necessity when you are in college. While it may not be the most important thing as a freshman, as you get older you realize how much you depend on your car. You are able to take your friends out, travel all around the surrounding area, and most importantly go home whenever you want if you want to.

2. If you are sick you can go home

I was sick for the majority of my freshman year, and let me tell you I am so glad I go to school close to home. My mom would occasionally drop off medicine and even a home- cooked meal for me when I wasn't feeling well. If it was really bad I could go home for the weekend and be taken care of because let's be honest, even when you are in college you love going home when you are sick.

3. Food with family

I am not saying that I go home often because I definitely do not. However, the times that I have been fortunate enough to go home my mom is always sure to make a great meal for me. She also is big on having a special dessert when I visit. If seeing your family isn't enough of a gift, the food they provide for sure is.

4. Visiting Pets

For anyone that knows me, I am absolutely obsessed with my two cats. When I go home I am able to see them and hang out with them. Everyone that has pets love them, and being away from them in college is super hard. Going to school close to home allows me to see them whenever I need some extra animal love.

5. A better bed

Beds at home are ten times better than the twin-sized hard mattress you sleep on at school. Sleeping at home is definitely a Godsend and is something I never take for granted.

6. Easy to do laundry

Doing laundry in the dorms during my freshman year was not the worst thing in the world, but the washer and dryer definitely screwed up my clothes from time to time. Now that I live off campus I occasionally go home to do my laundry, which is super nice because it is less money to spend and another reason to see my family.

7. Shopping dates

This has happened multiple times within the past year, and I hope it is something that continues for the rest of my time at Santa Clara University. My mom and I will meet up to go shopping, or when I didn't have a car she would come pick me up. This was so nice because it is a quick trip and a nice break from being around everyone on campus.

8. Seeing friends when they come into town

I love seeing some of my best friends when they come home from college. Being from the area, during breaks when they come and visit I am able to bring them to Santa Clara University and have them meet all of my college friends. It's really fun to have the two worlds collide and I love having them around