The People's-Choice-Film-Nerd-Oscars For The Under-Appreciated Movies

Because most of the time the Oscars get it wrong.

1057
Instagram

Awwww Oscar season, the Super Bowl for film nerds. We all watch the snooty movies, then collectively debate who will win a tiny statue. It is truly a pretentious delight, but what about the movies that are for the people? Yes, there are people's choice awards, but like any award show that gives a prize to Twilight is canceled. Don’t worry though, I, Mekahla Peterson, film-nerd-voice-of-the-people got you. Let’s do this.

Best Original Screenplay: Get Out

Yes, this is alrighty nominated, but guess what?! The academy, full of old white people, probably will pass up this beautiful masterpiece for another depressing, dark movie-I’m lookin' at you Three Billboards- but damn does this movie deserve all the credit.

Peele wrote a layered masterpiece that spoke to so many different types of people. Every rewatch brings something new and that is hard to achieve especially in an Oscar-nominated movie.

Best Adapted Screenplay: It

There’s. The. Deal. Stephen King’s book It is hella long and hella weird. Like there’s this turtle thing that guides the kids to beat the clown and there's a child orgy thing that makes me uncomfy to even think about.

So the Screenplay writers, Chase Palmer, Cary Joji, and Gary Dauberman, had to create a film that appeased both the book fans and the average moviegoer. They did that wonderfully. It’s scary but still has heart. It’s dark and uncomfortable without making the audience feel like they're watching Mother. Hand claps, but I hate that clown.

Best Director: Guillermo del Toro (The Shape of Water)

Yes. Again already nominated, but he’s the people’s champ for a reason. Homeboy directed Hellboy 1 & 2, Blade 2 and Pacific Rim. Along with those blockbuster gems, he creates beautiful monster movies. The Shape Of Water is gorgeous.

It’s shot beautifully, acted beautifully, the sets and costumes are beautiful. It’s just a great heartwarming story that examines what it feels to be “othered” in a society that values sameness.

I hate that this has been relegated to the Fish Sex movie. It’s so much more than that, and that is because of del Toro.

Best Supporting Actress: Holly Hunter (The Big Sick)

Guys, go watch the Big Sick. It’s on Amazon prime and it will make your day better. It is about the true story behind a real-life married couple, Kumail Nanjiani and Emily V. Gordon, that had to deal with a troubling event together.

The star of the movie though is Holly Hunter. She commands every scene that she’s in with the fierceness of a scared mother and the softness of a person dealing with marital problems. It is rich, it is subtle and it is the cherry on top of this cute little Sunday.

Best Supporting Actor: Gil Birmingham (Wind River)

So this film is the biggest bummer on this list, but the performance that Birmingham gives is so deep. He plays a grieving father who has to somehow stay strong for his wife while dealing with the loss of his daughter. He needed to be believable in order for the audience to care and he does that. It’s subtle and it represents a section of society, Native Americans, that are rarely represented.

Best Actress: Aubrey Plaza (Ingrid Goes West)

That funny girl from Parks and Rec, ya she’s a real creep in this movie. Plaza plays a girl named Ingrid and is obsessed with Instagram and Instagram celebrities. She moves out to LA in order to become friends with an Insta celebrity. Plaza plays a total creep, yet she’s a relatable creep. We’ve all been there where we want to be noticed, especially on social media. Her performance is both empathetic while making it feel comfortable.

Best Actor: Daniel Kaluuya (Get Out)

Again already nominated but again he’s nominated for a reason. Daniel Kaluuya straight up cried real tears in a scene. You can’t tell me that doesn’t deserve an Oscar! He had to navigate uncomfortable situations that every POC has encountered in one way or another. But he did it in a way that felt relatable to everyone. We cheered him on and he succeeded!

Best Picture: Get Out

Name a more culturally relevant film in 2017... I'll wait. I know that the Oscars won't recognize this film, so that’s why I’m giving it the People’s-Choice-Film-Nerd-Oscar. Not only did this film make a bunch of money at the box office, it was the directorial debut of Jordan Peele, and it created a cultural conversation.

When the first trailers came out people were very confused as to what was going on but then we were treated to Peele’s creative mind. This was by far and away the best film, the most culturally relevant film and that’s why it should win the People’s-Choice-Film-Nerd-Oscar.

So there you have it folks, one girl's opinion, who doesn’t know much. But she loves town and rested it silly little award season. So take Beas OK news and run with it, Oscars!