Why People Read Fantasy Books

Why People Read Fantasy Books

Even fantasies can bring us the most real experiences.
1511

Some people hold the belief that as we get older, our tastes and interest should mature along with us. With this in mind, these people believe that if we do not "grow up" and change our interests, that we are immature and not worthy of their time.

However, it is not our tastes that define our maturity level. Our interests do not explicitly define who we are or what we are like. Some people prefer to read more "sophisticated" texts, such as "Crime and Punishment," or casually read the works of Shakespeare. Others, like myself, prefer taking a step into worlds of fantasy, where anything and everything is possible.

Fantasy books open doors to realms beyond what we know and accept as reality. Some stories take the world that we live in, along knowledge that we already hold and incorporate fantastic elements into it, while others build entirely new worlds, settings, and ideals for their characters. Each new novel and series introduces the reader to a new world, and strives to not only build the characters, but establish the world that they live in as well. When a reader adventures into a new world with all new rules from those that they know, the reader comes to rely on the protagonist of the story to lead them through the world, which creates a bond that is impossible to replicate in most other media. These bonds, along with the adventures that take place in these novels, are nearly timeless and can be returned to at any time. It is this timelessness that makes fantasy books irreplaceable in the heart of any book reader, and it plays a large role in having readers explore even more fantasy novels.

Well-written fantasy books are capable of bringing the readers to worlds beyond the realm of their imaginations, and showing them things that they would not believe. Some of the best fantasy books have been able to permeate the very fabric of our society, where there are very few people who haven't heard of them. The epitome of this kind of fantasy novel is, of course, the "Harry Potter" series. First published in 1997, "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" (or "Philosopher's Stone" in other parts of the world) began a worldwide sensation that helped to define a generation. Nineteen years later, the phenomenon continues with the release of the book "Harry Potter and the Cursed Child" on July 31. Many people who grew up as the books (and movies) came out found refuge in the adventures of Harry, Ron, and Hermione, and learned lessons about life, friendship, and love that they would not have learned otherwise. These people also return to the series at various points in their lives, during high points, low points, and any points in between. No matter when they go back, they always hold this message from author J. K. Rowling in their hearts: "Hogwarts will always be there to welcome you home."