To The People Who Think An Education Major Isn't Worth My Time

"A good teacher can inspire hope, ignite the imagination, and instill a love of learning. "

36
Huffington Post

To the people that think my major isn't worth it:

Being an education major, I always seemed to get the responses of "I could never do that" or "You won't make enough money" it is seemingly is very downgrading and upsetting, but for me it hasn't brought me down to think being an English teacher in the future for my future students is not the ultimate goal that I want for myself.

For me, it was a journey of what I wanted to do with my life. I always wondered what would fit me, and some people may have been surprised by my choice in the ended and wondered why I wanted to be a teacher. From the beginning I wanted to write novels for the most part, but later on I also wanted to help out others in some way. As soon as I visited UNI, I knew that being a teacher fit me perfectly. I already loved English for my entire life and I wanted to help others understand the world around them.

A lot of people have their doubts of what I can do, I've been told before someone thought that I would be better with younger children. Which some people might be very good with younger children but personally, I love talking to kids in high school or middle school because they have a lot to say about the world. I love their personalities as well.

For the most part I feel as though most people seem that it doesn't fit me that well to be a teacher with the way I act or talk or that it isn't useful and I should try and become a doctor or something. Which for me, doesn't fit how I am or function in life. I love being able to help others understand things while talking to them about life, that's my favorite part of the day.

Eventually, most people will understand that all majors are useful. They help out anyone ultimately get the career they want for themselves and I find that wonderful and with today's society you should be able to figure out what you love by learning more about it.

If someone thinks your major isn't useful or worth it: just remind them it's your life and it's what you love to do.