To The People Who Crave Change

To The People Who Crave Change

Discovering yourself takes time and I learned it in a peculiar way

96

Back in eighth grade, our English teacher made us write a letter to our future self. We were supposed to write down our goals, what we wanted to be and what we want to do after high school. Funny enough, most of us took the letter as a joke and just wrote about random stuff like what was our favorite band at the time, who our very best bff's were, and what we were having for lunch after that class period. We would sign and stamp the letters and have our teacher mail them to our address and the end of our senior year of high school. What I didn't expect was to open my letter at the end of 12thgrade and be surprised at what I saw.

I never knew how harsh middle schoolers were until I read the letter to myself. Most of the letter included me telling to get my shit together more than me complimenting myself on my amazing music taste as a 13-year-old. Apparently I was doing something right because it definitely was a wakeup call.

Aside from still having the same best friend for 10 years, a lot from my letter has changed. Old me wanted to work with animals; new me wants to work with people in healthcare settings. Old me wanted to not go to college and make a living on my art (which was terrible back then mind you); new me is currently attending my dream university. Comparing my mindset now to 6 years ago is astounding. I would have never thought I would want to be a nurse, to actually help all kinds of people and really enjoy healing not only them but their hearts. Old me would have gagged at the thought of getting a bachelor's degree but here I am now!

I know people change over time and career choices are changed dramatically throughout our whole scholarly career, but it is important to take a step back and see how far you've come on your own path. Reflection of oneself is key to a healthy mindset when looking towards your future.

The point of this is to show that change is subjective and can happen whenever you feel it's necessary. If you are satisfied with the current chapter of your life then that is okay! If this is your wake-up call to make a difference for your future then go ahead and use that energy to alter your path. Go join that new club you've always wanted to. Attend the fitness class that looks fun. Change your major if your heart is really set on it. If the change is what makes you happy, then that's all that truly matters.