The Pen is Mightier Than The Sword, & We're Evolving

Why you should consider creating and building with Odyssey.

14

“The media is the most powerful entity on Earth. They have the power to make the innocent guilty, and to make the guilty innocent- and that's power. Because, they control the minds of the masses.” –Malcolm X

It was roughly 60 years ago that human rights icon Malcolm X spoke these words. Of course, things have changed a bit since then, and thanks to the internet, many of us are now utilizing media sources that didn’t even exist until fairly recently.

Yet somehow, regardless of the progress we’ve made, his words seem to resonate now more than ever. Traditional mass media has always been a highly influential industry, controlled by economic elites. In industrialized economies such as the United States, barriers to entry are at historic highs. As a result, progressively fewer individuals and media conglomerates control increasing shares of the mass media worldwide. The media sector is an oligopoly.

The concentration of media ownership means that a few key individuals end up playing an overwhelming role in creating and shaping public opinion. This unprecedented leverage of power can cause negative effects on entire societies, creating a lack of competition and diversity, as well as the promotion of biased political views. We are all bearing witness to the negative effects of a media oligopoly, and we, "the masses", are the ones that are suffering. Socially, culturally, economically, spiritually, we're all suffering.

In 2012, a Gallup poll found that American’s distrust in the media had hit a new high, with 60% saying they had little or no trust in the media to report the news fully, accurately, or fairly. A recent study also found that group participation contributes to the public perceptions of the legitimacy or credibility of mass media. Jayasree Roy, writing for the global ethics network, perfectly describes how many Americans feel: “Today, when politicians are taking full advantage of their positions, an evil nexus of mafia and crime syndicate is making the life of the common man miserable, taxpayer’s money is siphoned out for the personal gain of the influential and ordinary people are a mere spectator…”

The idea of corporate media itself may not be a bad thing, for it can foster healthy competition and provide a check against governments. However, the concern is when there is a concentration of ownership due to the risk of increased economic and political influence that can itself be unaccountable. The ability for citizens to make informed decisions is crucial for a free and functioning democracy, but now becomes threatened by such concentration in ownership.

Thankfully, we have the internet, and it’s helping millions of people around the world break down barriers that were previously thought unbreakable. The internet provides a world-wide platform from which people can share their own stories, ideas, and opinions. I think Amy Jo Martin, CEO and founder of Digital Royalty, said it best: “Social media is the ultimate equalizer. It gives a voice and a platform to anyone willing to engage.”

That’s why I decided to build a team with Odyssey. I wanted to engage. Odyssey democratizes the way stories are told online. Odyssey believes that multiple perspectives, opinions and ideas should be captured and heard, shared and amplified on a worldwide scale.

Odyssey is one of the fastest growing social properties in the world, with thousands of Creators, a diverse array of millennial influencers and respected leaders across the U.S. They are writers, photographers, and videographers who believe they have stories worth telling that aren’t otherwise told by traditional media. They hold various leadership positions in their communities and have social followings that they bring to our platform to drive conversation.

As a social media platform, Odyssey is redefining the media industry by amplifying millennial voices across the country and connecting them to an audience of millions. If you have a story to tell, and you’re prepared to engage with your community, consider building a team with Odyssey. Request an invite here: theodysseyonline.com/apply

Gunther, Albert C. (1992). Biased Press or Biased Public? Attitudes Toward Media Coverage of Social Groups, Public Opinion quarterly

Shah, Anup. Media Conglomerates, Mergers, Concentration of Ownership, Global Issues, Updated January 2, 2009 Globalissues.org

Steven, 2009. Pg. 19