complacency and approval in culture of pornography

Peachy with Porn

Looking at the complacency and approval in culture and society with pornography.

1230
Peachy with Porn
Peter Heeling

Before I begin, I need to give a few notes for my readers:

This article could be very decisive. It could also be very opinionated, one way or the other. People are either very condemning or defending of pornography.

This is also a very personal topic for me. I have struggled with this sin for a very long time, up until this very day. It's something that I have only prevailed against by the grace and power of God and a very understanding and supportive wife (girlfriend at the height of my struggle).

This is also an emotion-based and spiritually-based article. I love and require facts as much as anyone, and understand that facts are a mandatory when you are arguing your point over another. But this is not going to be an article chocked-full of statistics or percentages stating how porn-saturated our culture has become (it has by the way). If you want to do the research yourself (and I highly suggest you do, no matter what side of the argument you are on), then go for it and get ready to be surprised.

The topic of pornography is a heavy one, and encompasses much more than my measly 500 or so words can represent.

But what is startling to me is how gratefully and wonderfully accepted it is in today's time.

Let's be real though, pornography has always been around. It's technology that has made it more rapid and now one of the biggest businesses in the world.

Even for those who believe that sex outside of marriage is okay and should be accepted, I'm still in awestruck with how many approve of pornography.

I'm also in shock of how many support women's rights and want to empower women, but will still approve of porn which disgraces them beyond measure and will listen to music that refers to women as hoes, bitches, and more profane terms.

Everywhere you look, there is one form or another of pornography. Movies, TV, magazines, apps, websites, social media, and the list goes on and on.

And we approve of it.

From someone who has been at the lowest level of his life because of a pornography addiction, it feels like you can't get away sometimes.

My wife and I watch 'Friends' every now and again. I really do enjoy the show. It's not as good as Seinfeld, but it's pretty funny. I was watching one episode where Chandler and Monica where joking around and Monica said she would buy him some porn (forgive me not knowing the exact details, but this is the gist).

And Chandler said yes. And Monica was okay with it. And that was in the 90's.

To me, this is disgusting. But, we live in a society that sees nothing wrong with using women (and men) to take care of our own needs and make ourselves feel better about ourselves.

I heard someone once say that pornography makes a man feel like a man without having to be a man.

Wow.