I recently tried out this peach ice cream recipe from Taste of Home, and it was incredible. I had never made ice cream from home before, and this recipe was super easy to follow and it turned out amazing! It was also great that I had most of the necessary ingredients at home already.
I spread out the process over the course of two days, but on both days the necessary steps only took me about 45 minutes each. As a beginner, I was absolutely amazed at how simple the recipe was and how incredible the final product tasted.
If you want to try it, too, follow the instructions below!
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups whole milk
- 2 cans (14 ounces each) sweetened condensed milk
- 1-3/4 pounds fresh peaches, peeled and sliced
- In a large saucepan, whisk together eggs, 1 cup of sugar, and salt until blended. Then stir in milk. Cook the mixture over low heat until mixture is thick enough to coat a spoon and a thermometer reads at least 160. Do not allow to boil. Remove from heat. Note: I focused on the reading of the thermometer more so than the thickness of the mixture. Once it surpassed 160, I removed it from the heat and went on to the next step even though it was not as thick as I had anticipated.
- Put the mixture into a separate bowl, and place the bowl into a pan of ice water. Stir occasionally for 2 minutes. Stir in the sweetened condensed milk.
- Place plastic wrap over the mixture. Refrigerate several hours or overnight.
- After refrigeration, mash peaches with the remaining sugar in a small bowl. Let stand for 30 minutes. Fill a container ¾ of the way with custard and stir in peach mixture. Note: I mashed the peaches as recommended and it turned out fine, but if you're looking for a smoother taste, I would purée the fruit instead.
- Freeze ice cream for 2-4 hours and serve in a bowl with fresh peaches or mint leaves.