How To Write About Recipes

How To Write Down The Holy Grail Recipe Everyone Begs You To Make

Because everyone has a signature cocktail, cake, or pasta they bring to every potluck.

6675

From back when I used to bring my mom's classic white chocolate chip cookies to preschool on my birthday to now stirring up my signature tequila cocktails at every friends' barbecue, I've always had a couple of standby recipes in my culinary rotation.

Chances are, you have the dinner recipe you make yourself several times a week — you could practically put it together in your sleep. Or, you have a dessert you make that your friends practically beg you to make on any remotely celebratory occasion. You have the recipe memorized anyway, so it's about time to record it.

And, next time your loved ones beg you for the recipe, just send them a quick link rather than having to write it down for them.

Now's your chance to be the published (virtual) cookbook author you've always dreamed of being.

How To:

Here's where you come in! We want you and/or your friend(s) to write your very own recipe on Odyssey using the template we created below. Remember: don't take it too seriously! Have fun with it and put your personality into it.

Then, follow these steps:

1. COPY the text in between the begin and end template sections below
  2. PASTE it into a new post in Odyssey's CORE
  3. Fill it all in and add photos. Don't forget to remove the example we've provided in the template.
  4. Submit under Community: Lifestyle for a chance to be featured on Odyssey's Facebook and Instagram.
  5. Don't have an account? CREATE ONE.

BEGIN TEMPLATE

Cover Photo:

Your cover photo should, ideally, be a well-lit shot of you cooking or of the finished product. We always love images with people in them — have fun with it!

Headline:

The Holy Grail X Recipe X Always Begs Me To Make For X Occasion

Examples:

The Holy Grail Mojito Mocktail My Friends Always Beg Me To Make For BBQs

The Holy Grail Vegan Lasagna Recipe My Family Always Beg Me To Bring To Thanksgiving

The Holy Grail Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe My Coworkers Always Beg Me To Bring In To The Office

Introduction:

Start with 2 to 4 paragraphs explaining how you came up with the recipe, how long you've been making it for, and what exactly it tastes like. Is it spicy? Are there alternatives for people who might have dairy, gluten, nut, or seafood allergies? Is this for people who like creamy foods, sweet foods, etc.?

Have fun with it, and share personal anecdotes of your experience with the recipe. Why do you think people like it so much, and why do you think the people reading this will too?

Ingredients:

(Serves X number of people)

- Ingredient 1

- Ingredient 2

- Be sure to also note special tools (pans, knives, spatulas) that are necessary for the recipe.

- Provide alternatives and substitutions to common allergens/sensitivities when possible (dairy, gluten, nuts, shellfish, sugar, etc.)

- So on

- So forth

Recipe:

1. List the recipe steps in a numbered format here — it's easier to read lots of short steps that a couple of long ones.

2. Be sure to start with any prep work/oven pre-heating that may need to happen.

3. You can never have too much detail!

Final Notes:

As a last step, it's always nice to end a recipe article with notes on the best way to serve your work of culinary genius. Does this pair well with any other dishes, a type of wine, or a special garnish?

How should this be stored — in the fridge, freezer, or pantry? And, how long will it last?

END TEMPLATE

For a little inspiration, check out these other Odyssey Recipes:

- Gigi Hadid Made An Amazing Vodka Sauce Pasta On Her Instagram Stories — Here's The Recipe

- Hannah Ann Made Vegan, Gluten-Free Twix Bars And For How Healthy It Is, They're Delicious