My Parents Financially Support Me, And That's Okay

No one should have to go through life alone.

1382
Hayley Boehm

For some reason, there's always been a negative stigma surrounding the idea of your parents financially supporting you. The older you get, the more society thinks it's taboo.

I personally have never experienced financial independence. My parents always helped me out one way or another. When I got a car, they paid for the payments and gave me gas money. When I went to school, they paid for my tuition. They pay for my food and take me shopping. Most of my money I make at work goes into savings. I consider myself blessed.

I know I have it much easier than kids my age who have to support themselves. I can't even begin to imagine how hard and stressful that must be.

But, however, I don't see how that makes you better than me. I work just as hard for the grades I get, or for that promotion at work. I may get help from my parents, but that in no way makes me incompetent.

Just because I don't pay for my school or my car loan doesn't mean I'm less appreciative of what I have. Obviously, it won't hold the same amount of importance to me as it would someone who pays for that themselves, but it's important nonetheless. I thank my parents every day for what I have and what they have given me.

My parents know the hardships life has to offer. They were in poverty when they married, and they worked their way up their careers paths to get where they are now. For that, me and my sister never knew what it would be like to go hungry, or not be warm enough, or not have joy.

The early judgement of kids who get help from their parents need to stop. Yes, it's easier. But if they are living their life with joy and appreciation and happiness, and you're living in spite and anger, they only fit to be the better one. Just because you pay for something yourself doesn't mean you're entitled to pass judgement on kids who have parents that are able to pay for them.

No one should go through life alone. My parents help me out because they want to, not because they have to. They constantly remind me that they could very well take away my car or my lifestyle because, well, it doesn't exactly belong to me. If anything, that makes me strive to be worthy of what they're giving me. I want to make them proud.

I am fully planning on paying my parents back once I'm out of school and in a stable job. I want to give them back everything they gave me, because although they wanted to, they didn't have to.

It's okay to lean on someone for support, and it's okay if you can't do it all on your own. No one should be able to make you feel guilty of that.