As a senior in college, I have to thank my parents.

To My Parents, My Future After Senior Year Is Uncertain But I Know You'll Always Be There

Thank you for your patience and for believing in me when I didn't.

148

It is crazy to write that I am about to start my senior year of college in just a few days. Frankly, it seems like three months, not three years ago that I decided to start my college career at the University of Central Florida. Watching the underclassmen move in and seeing their parents carrying all their belongings into their room reminds me of when you helped me get my room ready.

Going away to college was completely nerve-racking for all of us, not just me. This large school, where I would spend the next four years learning, would be responsible for shaping me as a person. You two had to trust that the 18 years of watching over me would prepare me for the next few years of being on my own.

Guess what? They did. Having you two as parents not only shaped me as the person I am today but provided me with the confidence to take on the past few years of college. I knew how to cook for myself and not burn down my apartment, I learned how to do my laundry and not ruin all my clothes, and because of you, I had a level of responsibility to navigate the crazy university world.

My gratitude doesn't stop at the "pre-college preparation." Thank you for answering my midnight phone calls when I am having a panic attack about my class or writing submission. Thank you for convincing me to go to the health center and urgent care for a flu test even though I find it a waste of time. Thank you for supporting me changing my major to something I am genuinely passionate about, not just what I feel like I should study.

I understand I am now considered an upperclassman on campus, but I will never stop needing you or your advice. Whether it is about my taxes, how to stop the smoke detector from beeping or to remind me about a recipe I love. Although I am more than capable of cooking for myself, I still appreciate when you drive up to help me clean and cook.

As I begin to unpack and prepare myself for my senior year of college, I find myself more unsure about the future than I was when I first moved to Orlando. But here is what I do know, you two will always be there for me- encouraging me, calling me out if needed, but always supporting me.

Love,

Your daughter