Pardon Your Way To A Peaceful New Year

Pardon Your Way To A Peaceful New Year

It's time to let go of negative energy and forgive.

15
Pardon Your Way To A Peaceful New Year

On December 19, 2016 President Obama issued 78 final pardons. This has been a constitutional right for the leader of our country since 1789. A Presidential Pardon forgives someone for a federal crime and relieves him or her from their punishment. After considering this right of our president, it led me to think about forgiveness in general. I’m not implying that all convicted criminals should be set free, but how many of us truly have forgiving hearts? For many people the concept of forgiveness is introduced through religion, but it often fails to be carried out through our daily lives. You probably have memories of being told to “say you’re sorry” by a parent or teacher, usually after committing a minor offensive act. But how many times can you think of when someone told you to forgive a person?

Forgiveness is greatly lacking in our current culture. Instead, there seems to be an emphasis on payback, revenge, and ideas that further to emphasize the negative energy in our hearts. These attitudes are purposeless and only expand any stress, sadness, or anxieties that are ultimately weighing you down. No, you should not simply accept destructive situations or resign yourself to being treated like a doormat. I am suggesting that as this New Year unfolds, we all go ahead and pardon some people who have filled us with toxic anger, or who have hurt us to some degree this past year.

I’m not going to lie, it’s hard to make sense of the complexities that drive human behavior. Sometimes holding on to a grudge can actually be much easier than forgiving, but the power of forgiveness comes from brave strength. Maybe a petty insult has left you feeling bitter, McDonald’s has messed up your order again, somebody has cut you off on the highway, a larger argument with a friend has yet to be resolved, or maybe you have been completely shattered and heartbroken by the careless actions of somebody you thought you could trust and depend on. Whatever the extent your situation may fall under, the quest for forgiveness is far from straightforward. The one you are struggling to forgive may not even be aware of how much they have upset you. It’s possible you haven’t even received a declared apology from the person. These people may be the most challenging ones to excuse, but in these cases you may feel the biggest relief in showing compassion. Maybe the urge to forgive will suddenly overcome you when the time is right. You live, you learn, and people will continue to make mistakes. You can’t control the actions of others, but you can control how you let these actions affect you. Lack of forgiveness can often be the barrier between unhappiness and peace.

So go ahead, make a list if you want, but issue your pardons and start the New Year off with love in your heart. Let the past float far away into the abyss, but take the lessons with you, and move forward into a world full of opportunity and honest forgiveness.