2020 Took A Lot Out Of Us And Made Me Even More Grateful For My ​Community

2020 Took A Lot Out Of Us And Made Me Even More Grateful For My ​Community

You know who you are, thank you.

996

In the midst of the chaos of 2020, there are so many things to be grateful for during that year. First I am grateful that I learned a few key lessons:

1. It's OK to ask for help.

2. SLOW DOWN & breathe a little — not all battles need to be fought at once (or at all).

3. Being courageous looks different for everyone.

4. Sometimes you can't solve everyone else's problems.

5. I really enjoy water coloring.

Next, I am so grateful that my community remained steadfast and overwhelmingly present (even virtually). When we were in the 40-day lockdown, I remember that someone ALWAYS had a zoom meeting going for us to hop on and goof off regardless of the time of day. Sometimes I would exit zoom calls that had lasted 8 hours. Of us doing what? I couldn't tell you. However, that time was so valued. I have a sweet friend who also hated doing homework alone as much as I do and we would sit on facetime for hours on end working on projects and papers together. After the hard-core lockdown, my friends and I found ways to see one another- usually on the roof of a parking garage playing childhood games in a large circle. This community is full of people who absolutely love Jesus and love each other, and I'm thankful for them.

Finally, I am so thankful for discipleship. I met up with three other girls weekly and we read the Bible, worshipped, and had honest conversations about the state of our hearts, minds, and souls. Discipleship focuses on learning and growing together towards Jesus and keeping one another accountable in the pursuit of it.

I don't think there's been a time in my life where I have grown more or been hungrier to know more of God. I have been shown what selflessness looks like and how one can lay down their life for their friends. I have been taught what it means to serve others well and what it means to see someone how God sees them. I have grown in deep vulnerability and been completely called out by this group of wonderful women. I have also known such deep JOY in their presence- even with everything 2020 tried to throw at us.

So, thank you 2020 for the ability to still connect with people. Thank you for showing us all that God is still good and can still answer promises, big and small. I look forward to what the new year brings and what promises God will fulfill.