15 Things College Students Should NOT Pack For Fall Semester

Should I bring my winter clothes? How about a vacuum?

366
Kellyen Camino

You always see articles and lists from various companies like Bed, Bath and Beyond on what to bring to college. Those lists are about 200 entries long and accessible anywhere. So this week, I figured that I would compile a list of things that are on those lists, but not necessary to bring.

Some things, like a printer and TV may be useful depending on the person, but there are definitely some things that will be of little use to most people.

1. Your ENTIRE Winter wardrobe

Depending on the climate and the length of your breaks, you can bring those back when you go home for Columbus Day or even Thanksgiving. You can definitely pack a few winter items for those brisk fall mornings and nights, but that should be plenty to hold you over for your first 4-6 weeks of school.

2. Approximately 100 storage bins

It’s better to just buy two or three big ones to keep under your bed, and you can use each one for different things like snacks, blankets and toiletries.

3. Kitchen supplies

If you’re on a meal plan and your dorm room doesn’t have a kitchen, there is a good chance that you will never make food for yourself.

4. Anything your roommate is bringing

Coordinate with your roommate so that you don’t end up with two TVs, two rugs and two fridges.

5. Sports gear and exercise equipment

Unless you’re an athlete on one of the sports teams, any equipment that you would need to work out or play a quick game of something with your friends will be available at the fitness center.

6. Regular vacuum

A hand-held vacuum is totally fine for the 2x2 room that you will occupy.

7. Every piece of clothing that you own

While not bringing gloves or scarves is a given, you also shouldn’t bring all 50 T-shirts that you own and 10 pairs of jeans.

8. An iron, lol

Chances of you ironing your shirts in college: slim to none.

9. Prohibited items

Almost every school will release a checklist of their own and it will have items that they do not allow. Don’t bring candles or curtains if they won’t let you.

10. Extra "seating"

The room is way too small to have a beanbag chair or bungee chair taking up space when your friends can just sit on the bed or floor.

11. A full-length mirror

Double check on this one to see if the dorm rooms at your school have them, but most are attached to the wardrobe.

12. Storage pouch for the side of the bed

Most packing lists have these on them, but I can confidently say that my friends and I used ours zero times.

13. Desk organizer

A cluttered desk makes the small room feel smaller so I just kept my desk supplies in the drawer instead of on the desk or in an organizer.

14. Coffee maker/Keurig*

Maybe I put this on here because I’m NOT a huge coffee drinker, but even my friends who are usually just got their coffee from the dining hall or at the bagel place on campus. If you’re particular with your coffee, I can see why it may be useful.

15. Things you really care about … A LOT

Don’t bring valuables and family heirlooms to school with you. They are way safer in your bedroom at home.