I’m Backpacking In Europe With Nothing Planned

Tomorrow night, at this same time, I will be on an airplane headed towards Zurich, Switzerland. My plans after I land? Undecided! But it’s a good thing!

20
Madelyn Neal

In less than 24 hours, I will be in a plane headed towards Reykjavik, Iceland, where I will have an hour layover before departing for Zurich, Switzerland.

I planned some of the details of this trip a few hours ago.

I'm bringing one backpack.

I'm going with one of my closest friends.

We haven't decided what we're doing yet, so we are going to tomorrow while she is in Philadelphia on her layover (because we ended up with separate flights).

If you can't tell already, this trip was poorly planned. A lot of stress was involved. I've had about three mental breakdowns in the span of a few hours.

But, NONE OF THIS IS IMPORTANT.

I AM GOING TO SWITZERLAND.

Here is the moral of the story.

We get so caught up in the bad things in life.

We have something that doesn't go as planned, or we encounter conflict, and it's like our whole worlds are crashing and burning and for that moment and for the moments afterward, we are fixated on the bad and not the good. And it's justified because bad things do happen, the world will get you down, and according to an Arab proverb, "sunshine all the time makes a desert". But, this doesn't mean that we can't nonetheless practice gratitude throughout bad situations.

Yes, I have been stressed about this trip. But, I will be in Switzerland so, so soon. With one of my best friends who I love dearly. And we will see sights that I wouldn't be able to imagine in a million years. And we will eat good cheese. SO much good cheese.

Let's practice gratitude. Let's accept the bad, but recognize the good in it also. Positivity is never a bad thing.