10 Must Have Things To Pack For A Protest Because You Should Never Be Unprepared
Politics

A protester should never come unprepared.

119
Dreamstime

I Marched for My Life with hundreds of thousands of people from all over the country on Saturday in Washington D.C. while thousands more marched all over the world. As a self-titled emerging activist, with many more fights in my future, here are a few things you should pack for a protest.

1. Water

Dehydration symptoms start when we lose more fluid than we take in. Who knows how long you’ll be chanting, standing or marching, so make sure to pack some water.

2. Snacks

No one wants to fight hunger pains while they’re fighting for change. Be an angry protester, not a hangry one. Granola bars, fruit snacks and trail mix all do the trick.

3. Comfortable Shoes

Do I even need to comment on this one? Unless you want to tend to blisters and cuts the next day, wear some Sketchers. I am all for fashion, but comfort beats style in this case.

4. Camera

These are the moments you’ll want to remember and your Facebook friends will want to see. Charge your Canon and take as many pictures as possible. Keep the photography composition rules in mind for great shots!

5. Sign

Think of a sassy slogan and pick up some poster board for $3 from your local Wal-Mart.

6. Merch

Look for t-shirts, stickers, buttons or places to donate and support the cause you’re fighting for!

7. Rain poncho

Don’t be a fair-weather fighter.

8. Toiletries

It could be hot and you might sweat. Maybe you’ll meet your perfect match at the protest, so pack some deodorant and perfume. Your mom might want you to bring sunscreen too.

9. Portable charger

See #4. Don’t let that phone die, duh.

10. Cash

You might get arrested, have to take a cab or want to donate some money. This goes for life in general: always carry cash in case of emergency.