what to pack when backpacking

What To Pack When Backpacking Across Europe

A detailed list of all the things that I packed in my backpack for my six month adventure in Europe.

1969
backpacker

You have made the first step. You have decided to have the ultimate adventure: backpacking across Europe. But you don't know where to start when it comes to packing your bag! This is an incredibly common issue for many. After all, if you want to adhere to budget airline guidelines, and not check luggage, your backpack will not be very large. In order to help, I have compiled a list of all the things I put into my backpack, why I chose to pack those items and where I got them. This compilation is meant to be a jumping off point to spark ideas for your own journey.

The Backpack Itself

The carry on requirements for RyanAir, one of the cheapest airlines used to get around Europe, are as follows: 55cm x 40 cm x 20cm. Because I am a 25 year old girl traveling alone for the majority of the time, my number one priority in choosing a backpack, besides proper size, was safety. Because of this, I picked a backpack with a slash-proof wire mesh inside the fabric, turn and lock security hooks that hold the zippers in place, and an RFID blocking pocket to protect personal information from thieves. There are a variety of backpacks you can choose from that fit your personal preferences. I bought the Pacsafe 25L Anti-Theft Backpack.

It's a little pricey at $119.95, but personally, I thought this was a good investment because this backpack will be the main luggage I will carry with me for six months.

You can get it here: Pacsafe 25L Anti-Theft Backpack

Note: If you are planning on traveling on budget airlines, it may be worth it for you to buy a digital luggage scale. Many of the airlines require that your bag weigh under a certain amount, and if you tend to over pack, this item could potentially save you money and unnecessary hassle.

Toiletries

Most of the toiletries you will need, you can purchase while you are in Europe, so you should only bring the bare minimum. I bought small travel containers, in which I put:

- Shampoo

- Conditioner

- Body wash

- Hairspray

Another side note: unless an item is absolutely necessary, leave it at home. You can always buy the things you need when you arrive in Europe.

Towel

Using an actual towel will take up way too much space. However, the travel gods have invented a quick drying, highly compact microfiber towel for all the adventurers out there. If you tend to use a larger towel on a daily basis, order an XL. The travel towel that I purchased is an XL, but still collapses down into a very small square in my backpack: Travel Towel

Alarm Clock

Having an alarm clock of some sort is vital to ensure that you are not missing flights, bus rides, or other forms of transportation. It is also important to remember that many hostels have lock-up hours, so you may need to leave the hostel at a certain time. You never want to find yourself being in a rush, as this is one of the easiest ways to be ignorant of your surroundings, resulting in troublesome situations. An alarm clock will do the job of keeping you on top of your schedule- that is, unless you hit snooze!

Water Bottle

In order to take up less room, bring a collapsible water bottle that you can roll up in your bag. I prefer this Platypus bottle: Platypus Platy Bottle

Utensils

If you are balling on a budget like me, you will want to shop for groceries instead of going out to eat for every meal. Having virtually indestructible reusable silverware will be your saving grace if you want to buy a quick salad, or even make a peanut butter sandwich.

Day Pack

This Ultralight Packable Travel Daypack is a wonder in a small package. It expands out into a decent size pack, in case you wanted to leave your backpack in the hostel and take only your valuables with you throughout the day. This specific sack fits my laptop, camera and other small valuable items that I don't want to leave in the hostel.

Shoes

I packed three pairs of shoes. The first are Nike walking shoes. Not only are they super stylish, but they are also incredibly comfortable. I've been wearing them to break them in, and it feels like I'm walking on clouds.

You can find them here: Nike Women Roshe

Next, I bought Birkenstocks because they are also very comfy walking sandals.

I highly recommend these ones: Birkenstocks

Finally, I packed shower shoes. I advise bringing shower shoes to protect your feet, especially if you are staying in hostels. Regarding specific types, buy the cheapest waterproof flip flops you can find that'll consume the least amount of room in your bag.

These shoes will roll up in your bag: Shower Shoes

Technology

What you plan to do while you traveling will determine what technology you'll need to bring. For me, I will be writing and photo blogging, as well as attending school in the midst of backpacking, so my laptop and camera are necessities. I will be bringing a 13" Macbook Air and a Canon Powershot G7, which is smaller than my usual DSLR, but will still take high quality photographs. Don't forget charging cables, backup batteries and memory cards.

Converter/ Power Strip

This power strip is small and gives you four outlets for the price of one. It enables you to charge multiple devices simultaneously, and also might make you popular with your hostel-mates!

If you are bringing anything that is created for use in the US, you'll need to check the voltage and either bring a plug adaptor or a voltage converter with you so you don't risk blowing out your technology.

Phone

Once you disconnect the service from your phone, you will be able to put in a European SIM card, which is monumentally cheaper than using US data during your trip. I transferred my service over to a flip phone for the duration of my trip in order to have an unassigned mobile device to use while abroad. This also keeps my number the same when I return. You can buy a flip phone at Target, but I highly recommend posting on Facebook or asking your friends to see if anyone might have an extra phone they no longer use.

Clothes

What clothes you decide to bring will differ from person to person, but the best advice I received when packing was: if you close your eyes, reach into your bag, and grab out a shirt and pants of any kind, the two should match. Remember to cater to your needs: I didn't pack any shorts because my legs chafe when I walk for significant amounts of time, and I would rather be hot than in physical pain. It is also important to pack things that you can layer on top of each other when it gets chilly.

Here's a list of the clothes I packed:

- 4 shirts

Black tanktop

Gray t-shirt

White sweater

Flannel

- 4 pairs of pants

Black slimfit running pants

Black lightweight hiking pants

Yoga pants (these will double as pajamas)

Jeans (with holes, because I'm in love with the 90's)

- 1 black t-shirt dress (it can be dressed up or down)

- 6 pairs of underwear

- 2 bras (a sports bra and a regular t-shirt bra)

- 6 socks (make sure they are socks that quick-dry, air out, and will give a little extra foot support)

- 1 jacket: I bought a Nike waterproof windbreaker that also rolls up into a small ball in my backpack

Laundry Supplies

This is totally optional, but since you are only bringing a limited amount of clothing that'll likely be worn more than once, it is important to know if there is a laundromat close by where you live. If there isn't, then you may want to pack a laundry line. This clothesline does not require clips- you can simply attach the clothing to the rope itself. Also, you may want to purchase a sink stopper so you can wash your clothes in the hostel sink. Like this one, for example: sink stopper

Umbrella

Having a compact umbrella might just save the day if you are out and about, sightseeing or hiking, and don't have shelter. Another option would be to have a poncho folded into the bottom of your bag. It's not as fashionable, but it does the job.

Security

For extra protection, I purchased this Luggage Lock to make sure that my bag would not be broken into. I also bought this Personalized Padlock in case I needed to lock it to something while traveling. When coming back into your hostel or even wandering around the streets at night, it is useful to have a flashlight. This mini flashlight is cute, small and very luminescent.

And finally... Don't overpack!

The biggest takeaway: less is more. If you need something, you will be able to buy it in Europe. Don't freak out if you have to leave stuff behind. You will discover that it is easier than you think to live out of a backpack for the sake of adventure.