10 Ways To Find Balance When You Feel Out Of Control

How to bring more peace into your everyday life.

126
https://az616578.vo.msecnd.net/files/2018/02/02/636532105427702014-880200312_emma-simpson-153970.jpg

Have you ever felt out of control of your thoughts or emotions? Sometimes its hard to express how we are feeling when we can't even understand it ourselves! Being a full time college student and student teaching has shown me that I don't have much control over my daily routines, even when it is something simple like a due date being changed or my students needing more time than expected on an assignment.

At first I didn't know how to handle not being able to find balance in my work and school schedule, and I started to experience extreme anxiety...so bad where I would be in class unable to catch my breath and couldn't focus on the lecture because I was more worried about slowing my heart rate down than I was trying to learn how to write a 6-step lesson plan.

Once I started experiencing more physical symptoms of my anxiety I knew I needed to make a change to avoid this from getting progressively worse.

So, if you are/have ever felt like you can't gain control over your fast-pace life, and you just don't know how to handle your stress and anxiety, here is a list of 10 hobbies/habits that I picked up on in my life that I have seen make a drastic difference in my mental and physical health.

1. Go buy a new book

I know you're probably thinking, "I don't have time to read a book...next."

But that was my biggest excuse, that I didn't have enough time. However, I was determined to read more because I knew it was something I loved to do. And I would pencil it in my schedule so I knew to make time for reading.

Sometimes I want to read a chapter book, sometimes I want to read about the benefits of using essential oils, and sometimes I want to read a random children's book I found at Barnes and Noble. Regardless of what books/magazines/newspapers/articles you enjoy reading, just read them. Spoil yourself and buy a new book...for the simple reason that you deserve it (and probably need it).

2. Find a new hobby

This is way easier said than done, trust me...I know. But start with figuring out things that you really, really love! Do you love to practice yoga? Find a new studio and take a class! Do you love being outside? Find a trail/walkway and go for a run or walk...even if it's just once a week. Do you enjoy making crafts? Search Pinterest for DIY projects and create something new! Whatever it is that you enjoy, invest more time into it.

3. Let go of control

This sounds a little vague, but really...just let go of the control you anxiously want to have over everything in your life. You want everything to go your way, and you want everything to be timely and orderly, but most of the time that isn't going to happen. So if something is going off schedule, or your day has gone completely off plan, just take a breath and let go of the unnecessary stress you are going to cause yourself worrying about things you cannot control. Let go, let God. Am I right?

4. Buy a coloring book

Maybe it's just because I am an Education major, and maybe it's because I am around small children every week, but who doesn't love to color?! I know I do, and I love taking trips to Target to buy new colored pencils and markers for my coloring books I keep by my bed. Whenever I feel like I am overwhelmed or can't sleep because I have too much on my mind, I start to color. This allows me to be creative and express myself in pictures instead of words. Give yourself this time to stop "adulting" and just color...even if it's for only 5 minutes. This can help clear your mind and prepare you for the rest of the day/night.

5. Invest in a journal

I still have my journals from elementary school when all I would write about is how much I hate doing homework and how me and my BFF were planning a sleepover for that weekend. It seems silly reading them now, but they are journals I will never get rid of and always cherish because they hold so many memorable times in my life. Writing down your thoughts and feelings isn't something only children should do...if anything, I have benefitted from it more as an adult! Don't pressure yourself to write ___ times per week or you'll miss the entire purpose of writing. Pick up your journal and write when you don't feel like talking, when you feel like you can't explain the thoughts in your head, when you want to connect with yourself more spiritually, or when you just want to document that part of your life...in that moment.

6. Learn to communicate

When you suffer from any form of stress or anxiety, sometimes you feel like nobody will understand what you're feeling or experiencing, so you just stay quiet.

STOP DOING THAT.

You are not alone, you are not crazy, and more than likely you know somebody who is feeling the same way you are. When you deal with anxiety you would much rather tackle everything on your own instead of asking for help. But you need to tell people how you are feeling in a healthy and appropriate way, otherwise nothing will get resolved and you can't expect to move forward.

7. Accept how your mind works

You overthink. You stress every detail. You don't like it when people are mad at you. You worry about doing the wrong thing. You need reassurance. You want people to understand.

This step was a major turning point in my life, when I finally just told myself "You have an anxiety disorder, and that's okay! Now let's see how I can try to alleviate this tension I am always feeling."

You're not wrong for experiencing things people cannot always see. But you need to become aware of these experiences so you can better handle them in the future.

8. Try new things, and go new places

It's easy to stay in the motion of your daily routines: school, work, sleep (sometimes), repeat. It's hard to feel like you can step out of your norm and try something new. What if I don't like it? What if I don't know anybody? What if it causes me more stress?

By allowing yourself the opportunity to experience new people and places, you're allowing yourself to grow socially, mentally, and physically. You're off work and don't have plans this Friday night? Grab dinner with an old friend or schedule a hammock date! You can't find the motivation to finish your project due next week? Find a local coffee shop you haven't been to, order your favorite tea or coffee, and try working on it again.

Embrace the beauty that comes with stepping out of your comfort zone.

9. Make time for sleep

....No but seriously, you need to get more sleep.

Your body cannot function without enough sleep. Your mind cannot function without enough sleep. More than likely, anybody reading this isn't getting enough rest because they would rather sacrifice a few hours of sleep at night to finish writing a paper, catch up on a load of laundry, or study for your final later this week. My biggest advice to get more sleep is to learn how to better time manage. Instead of wasting hours on social media or watching Youtube videos, do something productive instead of waiting until the last minute!

Your body will thank you when you are waking up the next day fully rested, instead of relying on 4 cups of coffee just to make it out the door.

10. Try to stay organized

I know everybody can't be as orderly and structured as others...and that's okay! However, we can all make the effort to better plan our lives. Stress and anxiety come mainly from feeling out of balance and control. To gain that control back, you need to try your best to plan out your day (while still accepting to let go of what you can't control...refer to #3 on the list!) so you're not stressing about what to do next, where to go after lunch, or what homework needs to be done first. Before going to bed just write down a check list or make a mental note of what to expect the next day. This will help get you out of bed the next morning because you know where you're going and what you're doing today...rather than waking up and trying to remember everything you need to get done. Because let's be real...who wants to think about the long day ahead when you're laying in your bed as you first wake up? Not me!

I didn't try everything at once, and this list came from a lot of trial and error. I have learned so much about myself by allowing time for myself, as should you. I hope that these suggestions help you find the time to discover the peace within yourself and those around you.