I Am Out Of Ideas

What really happens when you run out of ideas?

For me there is a lot of eating and walking around and listening to music. This isn't for everybody but I'm sure a lot of people think of quitting and starting something new. When you run out of ideas, for whatever it is, a life plan, a job, artistic ventures, that's when stuff can really start to happen. But it may take a while.

Running out of ideas is like hitting rock bottom, you are literally just treading water until something comes along. Or alternatively, you are treading water until you make something happen.

Either way, running out of ideas is a standstill. I'm not going to lie, I'm pretty much out of ideas. At this moment, I don't feel there is anything particularly interesting for me to share with the internet world or the one person who actually shares my articles.

I have been walking around with headphones in all day sucking on a spoon of peanut butter. The thought mill in my head has not churned out any thought past, "This song sucks" or, " I wish this was crunchy peanut butter" or, "maybe I should quit Odyssey."

This has been my experience for the day. And I wish I had some grand advice to offer you, but I don't, because I could really use some right now, too.

But, where my intelligence and creativity ends, someone else's begins. So for all the people who have literally run out of ideas and are at a standstill, be it in whatever, a job, life, art, etc., here is a quote that my friend posted on Facebook one time. It is the only reason that I am writing today and it is the only reason that I will continue to do everything I am doing for the time being.

"If you're getting stuck in any area of your life, just remember this: The only thing you need to do is take the next step. Nothing more and nothing less. You don't have to understand everything or have it all figured out. Just take the next step. One step at a time. This will work wonders in your life." -J. Mike Fields.

When I saw that for the first time I knew it would help me when I started to feel stranded. And it did. I'll be the first to admit that this article isn't much. I don't have much to say this week. And it may not published, we'll see what editors think. But I tried. And for anyone who feels like I currently do, just remember that you don't have to have all the answers, you don't even need to have one answer, you just have to make up some sh*t. Just continue to move, otherwise you're going to sink. (If we're going back to the treading water metaphor.)

It's not much to offer, and I'm sure you've heard it a million times, but just make one move. You are not behind or ahead of anyone in life, you are on your own course and you choose which way it goes.

So this week, I'm out of ideas. I have no interest in pursuing the political tales twisting in America, because I have nothing new to add to the conversation. I have no interest examining gun violence or terrorism, because no matter what I write I cannot bring those lives back. I am lacking interest in most categories that could typically be exploited, so here it is. My article is explaining just how out of ideas I am.

There are a lot of legitimately smart people putting their ideas out on the internet, but thanks for reading my non-article. If you are stuck at any point in your life, I hope this may have helped a little.