Oakland University's School Survival Guide

5 Tips That Will Help You Through Your Freshman Year

28
michiganradio.org

Welcome, Freshman! The Golden Grizzlies and I are more than excited to add you to our family! Now that orientation part one and two are over, it's time to get down to business. Now that you are a student of Oakland University, you are about to have the biggest reality check of your life. I am sure you are aware of the challenges and rewarding moments you will experience during your time in college, but I think you should be informed of some tips to survive your next four years at Oakland University, and they are as followed:

1. If you are a commuter, get ready to face the struggle of finding a parking spot

Not that living at home and commuting to OU is terrible, but you are going to become frustrated over the year for these reasons: Oakland's parking lot isn't the best parking lot in the world and a lot of students have classes in the morning, so it takes forever to find a spot. My advice to those who commute is to leave your house on time so finding a space won't be so difficult. Take it from me because I have lost count of how many times I was late to my 9:20 class last year.

2. The Oakland Center (OC) is always crowded at noon, and if you want a place to have lunch then find a table ASAP!

As soon as the clock strikes 12:00 pm, the OC is flooded with hungry students waiting to get a bite from the new and improved cafeteria. From what I've learned my freshman year, finding a table is almost impossible, so my advice for freshmen is as soon as you get inside the OC, find a table ASAP!

3. If you have a crunched schedule, be sure you can make it to every class on time

It is easier to have a day or two where you don't have to go to class, which is why some students crunch their schedules to have an easier semester. If you have a class at HHB and another one at Dodge Hall, it may take a little while to get to class. My only advice is, if you have to travel from building to building, run like the wind!

4. Get involved on campus (*Cough* *Cough* Greek Life)!

OU has a variety of extra-curricular activities that every student can participate in. If I could recommend a particular organization, it would be Greek life. Last year, I joined Alpha Delta Pi and joining Greek life was the best decision I ever made. I have created so many friendships than I did before being involved a sorority, and I never want to go back. OU has a lot of great clubs, but if you join Greek life, you won't regret it.

5. Never stop studying and stay focused!

College is not easy, and I learned that the hard way last year. I have never failed any classes, but I knew I could've done better if I contributed more of my time to studying and not getting off track. Concentrating on school is the most crucial part of college. If you want to walk out of OU with an outstanding GPA and your degree, you must stay focused at all costs! Never lose sight of what you want!

I hope all of my tips help you this year! Good luck to the class of 2020.