To My Long Distance Best Friend

To My Long Distance Best Friend

Even though it is hard work, maintaining our friendship is one of my greatest joys.

420
To My Long Distance Best Friend
Helen Rail

Most people have adorable stories of where they met their best-friend-forever. Whether it was on the playground in kindergarten, or on the first day of freshman year of high school, meeting your best friend for the first time is a memory that you can never forget. For me, though, the day I met my (long-distance) best friend, Megan, was one that I do not recall. In fact, there is no possibility I could remember it because I was quite literally in the womb. She is, adoringly and amazingly, my womb-mate. Our mothers are the best friends in the entire world. College-roommates and lifelong soulmates, they talk on the phone every morning and are each other's closest confidants and support systems. When they became pregnant individually, it was to each other's greatest joy.

Megan and I have been friends from the start, but to say we were quick friends would simply be a lie. In fact, for a large portion of my childhood, Megan and I fought constantly. And not quick fights that I got over quickly. We fought so frequently, due to my overwhelming emotional sensitivity, that I even put peanut-butter in a toilet when I was visiting her so that her mother would send me home. However, Megan has always been there for me through thick and thin, and in recent years, has been one of the few people that have my complete trust, love, and admiration. This friendship hasn't always been easy. Seeing each other only three to four times a year when growing up put a strain on the friendship that we continue to fight for daily. The times we spend together are amazing and give us plenty of memories, but there is always the need to stay in contact with a friend. She is my long-distance best friend.

Let me tell you a little bit about this lady of mine. She is strong-willed, dare I say headstrong, beautiful, both inside and out, passionate, and above all, loyal. She might kill me for writing this, but this girl likes to tell the world she is untouchable and that she can never get hurt. But, Megan feels every emotion with an acute depth. Despite her tough front, she truly is one of the most sympathetic and emotionally-tuned people that I have ever known. She is fiercely loyal; she is quick to stand up for those she loves, even if she knows they are wrong. Megan is dead-set in her beliefs, unwilling to go against what she knows to be true, but capable of understanding and recognizing all areas of the spectrum. I aim to be as resilient, strong, and willfully intelligent as she is.

Let's get to this long distance part; the part where I tell you that our friendship does not come naturally. The need to nurture a long-distance friendship is essential. You should try to reserve time each week, or even each day, that is dedicated to catching up. It is easy to let your other friends take priority since you see them every day. But having someone that is objectively separate from the drama you go through at home is so important. She knows everything going on in my life, and I know everything going on in hers. I know all her friends from home, almost weirdly too well, without ever having met them. I know all about the boys in her life, the drama from school, etc.--and I am nowhere near it. I can offer her advice on how to proceed without having a stake in the game. I have saved her multiple times, as she has to me. Though, I also have to pretend 99% of the time that I have no idea who it is when I meet the boy she's seeing or the new friend in the friend group, even though I've been through their Instagram and know their dog's, mom's, and boyfriend's names.

One of the most important aspects of a long distance friendship is ensuring that even when you aren't in constant communication, you are being the emotional support that your friend needs. Even more, though, you need to ensure that you both have the understanding that no matter how long you go without seeing each other or speaking when something goes wrong, there is a response-- no questions asked.

And, that's the thing with Megan and I. We are polar opposites; if she is fire, I am ice. If I am snow, she is rain. We fall off the bandwagon and lose contact, but then, we wake up and realize a vital part of our everyday life is missing, and we find each other again. I trust her with my darkest secrets and grossest insecurities. She knows she can do the same. I have seen her cry, as she has me, made her laugh, watched her fall, and cheered as she stood up again. I have been blessed with a friendship that has survived 18 years of life and challenges. It has stood the tests of time, and, boy, has it been tested. But each time I think it may fail or we have lost contact, we come back stronger than ever.

So, to Megan, my love and my womb-mate, never forget how innately special our love is to me. You are more important than any other friendship or person in my life. You know me more than I could ever possibly understand. You see my greatest strengths and point out the weaknesses you see in me as if you see myself better than anyone else. I see the light in you more than any other person. I see the greatness you are and all that you have fought to achieve. I know each road bump, even when you don't know that I know what you are going through. Thank you, more than anything, for being who you are, and for being the most loyal friend I have ever known.

I love you to God and back, and even then, it isn't enough. From the womb to our doom, Meegz.

Love always,

H