The 5 Love Languages

The 5 Love Languages

Out of the 5 love languages that Gary Chapman introduced in his 1995 book, many of us have a preference for one or two of them.

17

Gary Chapman published The 5 Love Languages in 1995, going in depth about the five ways that we express and receive love. Many of us have a preference for one love language or the other, but more than one are applicable to you or your partner. Knowing these languages can help us improve our relationships, romantic or platonic, so we can express our love to those who prefer receiving it a certain way, vice versa.

1. Words of Affirmation

You use your words to express how much you love or care for someone. You tell the other person how much they mean to you through your words whether it is over text or in person everyday or by writing poems or songs.

2. Acts of Service

Unlike the first love language, you prefer to show the person by your actions, rather than your words. This is in no way manipulating the other person into doing things or treating him or her like a slave, but it's all about giving a helping hand. You might clean the dishes, wash the laundry, or go buy the groceries - anything that you do to help, even if it takes some time.

3. Receiving Gifts

Like Chapman's website states, "Don't mistake this love language for materialism; the receiver of gifts thrives on the love, thoughtfulness, and effort behind the gift." Similar to the previous love language, this one requires a bit of time. But, it also requires a lot of thought whether or not it's handmade or from the store. Gifts are a kind gesture and physical representation of your love for the other person to cherish.

4. Quality Time

Of course, like any type of relationship, it is extremely important to spend time together, but this language focuses on togetherness - spending time one-on-one. You may just want to talk to the other person without any distractions like the T.V. or phone. These people need to have meaningful conversations discussing past experiences or simply chatting about their day.

5. Physical Touch

Physical touch certainly communicates your love on a different level. You probably like linking arms, hugging, or kissing the other person. While this is a physical form of expressing your love, it also helps you connect with him or her on an emotional level.

You can discover your own love language by taking this quiz.

My scores indicated that my love language follows this preference: 1) Quality Time, 2) Words of Affirmation, 3) Physical Touch, 4) Acts of Service, and 5) Receiving Gifts.