College Life Is Not Easy, Here Is Some Advice On The "Tough" Stuff And How To Get Through It

And other great qualities to have while living with others...
33

A lot of things have come to my mind lately. Since it is my second semester of college, I want to give some advice for those who are having the same struggles or are dealing with similar things that I and many others are at the moment. I'm going to go ahead and say it, ROOMMATES. We can live with them but we could live without them too. I don't mean that in a harsh way. To be honest, I love my roommate. She is a wonderful person but just like every other person on this planet, we have our flaws. We are stuck in a room with each other for 10 months, seeing each other 24/7. Yes there are breaks within the time you are at school where you don't see them, but let's face it, we spend a lot of time together. Recently, my friends and I have talked about the struggles of having a roommate. Below is a list of things to work on, to avoid, and to do while you are living with someone for school or just in general.

1. Clean Up After Yourself! I cannot stress this enough. We are in college. We are adults. You should be able to keep your desk somewhat presentable or throw your left over Popeyes away.

2. Respect Each Others Boundaries. Respect is earned not given. It is very important to have enough respect for one another especially in a dorm room. Respect them as a person, their belongings, and when they need time for themselves. You know when someone is in a mood and needs to be left alone, just do it. They will do the same for you.

3. Do Your Share! You and your roommate might be total opposites especially when it comes to cleaning. Personally, I clean our dorm room every weekend. I Lysol it down and sometimes vacuum when i feel like it. My roommate only cleans her side of the room, we established this early on. Yes, it gets on my nerves sometimes but I live with it (literally). Establishing who cleans or having a calendar for alternate weeks, will keep you two from fussing about who takes the trash out next or who pays for the vacuum at the front desk.

4. Talk It Out. If you have a problem with whoever you are living with, talk it out. Do not sit there and dwell on their reaction or what you are going to say. Say it in a respectful manner and then you two can deal with it. Unspoken words are just that, unspoken. Talk to each other and come to a compromise.

5. Encourage Each Other. Be encouraging to one another. You may not agree on most things, but being able to help motivate each other is very helpful in the long run.

6. LET THEM KNOW. I know someone close to me that has this problem. Their roommate never lets them know when that "someone" is coming over and they end up walking in on them. Sex is a natural thing but we do not wanna watch you or hear you. You have each others numbers, text them and let them know. We do not want to see you or that person in some weird position you learned online. Just simply text them. That is all we are asking!

7. Tone It Down. Be aware of sharing the room with someone else. Respect your roommates time in the room because it is theirs just as much as it is yours. Do not have significant others or friends over 24/7. Consult with each other about who can come over and if they can stay the night. The worst thing is when your roommate has someone over when you are trying to study, do homework, or taking a nap. To avoid this, talk to one another and let them know. Communication is key!

These are just a few tips to consider when you are living with another person. I understand some living situations are different, people are different, and sometimes no matter how hard you try, you just seem to never get along. There are other ways to deal with that and that is to talk to your RA or consult your Residents Life Office and fill out a form to move. People come in all shapes, sizes, and everything in between. It does not take a lot to accept one another and be patient. Talk it out, respect one another, and get through whatever you are getting through.