tips to decorate your dorm room

11 Tipz And Trickz To Having The Raddest Dorm Room

Never thought a shoebox could look this good!!

51

Every freshman's most exciting part about coming to college is how you're going to decorate your room.

Once you actually get to school, you realize this may be the most stressful part of the whole movie.

There are so many different and fun ideas that you see on Pinterest but it all becomes overwhelming so you are back to square one. I have compiled my favorite parts about my dorm room and things that made the move a little simpler and more fun.

1. Hang your sunglasses from a strand of lights 

This is a really cool and fun way to get keep your sunglasses out of the way.

Sunglasses tend to be bulky, especially when you hoard them like me. So I decided it was cool to hang them on my lights. To spice it up, I added some polaroids around the glasses. I also like to hang any hats I may have, keep them out of the way as well.

2. Lights Around Your Mirror 

It can be difficult to put on makeup in a mirror that does not have enough light surrounding it. Hanging lights around your mirrors just give you that extra bit of brightness you need for when your applying things like eyeliner or highlight.

3. Color coordinate your closet

I didn't think I would benefit from this very much until I learned it makes it so much easier to create new outfits. You have on a pair of pants and you know what color shirt you want, you know exactly where to find it. This also helps you to see your clothing clearer rather than having to search for things.

4. Color code your calendar! 

I share a calendar with my roommate, so color coordinating makes it so much easier to see which events are hers vs. which are mine. We are also in the same sorority together so this makes us sure we are not going to miss an event. It is located right by our front door so those dates are always popping out at us.

5. Turn a corner into a closet 

If you have any extra space or little corner areas, turn them into something for clothes or even shoes. This just makes a blank space a little useful.

6. Use post it notes as dividers 

I hate having five notebooks, one for each class. So I like to buy a five subject book and use post-it notes in order to organize my different classes. Having one notebook makes it so easy because its hard to forget to bring to class. This notebook will become your life.

7. Flip a vertical mirror horizontal to make a makeup mirror

Not only can these mirrors be used for deciding which outfit to wear, but they can also be used as a makeup mirror. Do you ever have a lot of girls getting ready at once? This mirror can fit about three girls at one time to do their makeup.

8. A costume box is a must-have 

If you're like me, you LOVE Halloween.

I am an October baby so Halloween is in my blood. In college you can expect a week of Halloween celebrations, AKA HalloWEEK, beginning your freshman year start keep a box of anything that can be used as a Halloween costume.

This avoids spending money every year on 7,000 new costumes.

9. Use foam as a way to keep your earring organized

I'm not exactly sure if what I'm using is called "foam." But this is just a box that I bought a watch in and now I reuse it as a place to keep my earrings. Its super easy to just poke them in the foam and it lets me clearly see all the earrings I have and pick which to wear.

10. Contact paper chalkboard

I absolutely love this chalkboard in my room because It simply makes me happy to look at. Its so fun and your friends can write you little notes on it.

You could also use it to your advantage and write your school schedule or your work schedule on it. It is contact paper so it does not pull the paint off the wall @dormrooms.

I also just stick reminders with post-it notes to make it a little more colorful and fun.

11. PILLOWS!!!

The final "MUST HAVE" in your college room is an excessive amount of pillows. Pillows are what will really tie the room altogether. Your bed decor is the first thing people are going to look at when they come into your room, so you want to make it look full and welcoming.

The most important part of putting together your room is making it your own. Show people who you truly are.

Don't be scared to hang an embarrassing picture just because it's you and your best friend goofing off.

Having stuffed animals is also not embarrassing, just because you're in college doesn't mean a teddy bear from when you were two loses all value. Your room will only be "homey" if it is how you want to/have lived in the past. So go crazy and be unique!