I Got My First Order From SHEIN, And It Isn't The Clothes I'm Disappointed By

Just because some clothing is cheap and looks good, doesn't mean it always comes from good roots.

227

I have heard from several of my friends on social media about ordering from SHEIN; they have posted memes about the company, and I have watched numerous SHEIN hauls on TikTok. So when I got some birthday money from my family, I thought, why not?

I cannot tell you how much I already had saved on my wishlist, and how many hours I had looked through every category to find stuff I liked.

I ordered a bikini, several shirts, a sweater, workout leggings, and a pair of jeans. I was skeptical about ordering online, but I had seen so many good reviews, so again, I thought 'why not'?

I waited patiently for my package to arrive, and once they arrived I couldn't wait to rip open the bag! They honestly have some innovative packaging. They package each article of clothing in its own individual zipped bag. Once I opened my packages, I even did a fashion show for my friend to show her my new outfits.

Everything seemed to fit well, and I liked the way the clothes fit and felt. Now, I haven't got to see how the clothes are once they are washed and dried, but from my first impression, I was impressed.

I even made an Instagram post mentioning SHEIN and how impressed I was, and how good I felt in my new clothes. I raved to my friends and my social media about how I was going to only buy my clothes from them from now on because I enjoyed them so much.

But a day later, my boyfriend sent me a screenshot of a music artist we listen to, who had recently ordered a swimsuit from SHEIN, saying she doesn't want to endorse the company because she had heard some unfortunate things about their production.

So I decided to do my own research, and I was disappointed.

I googled "Why is Shein bad," and several hits came back about how they had unethical labor practices, were known as being a "fast fashion" company, and how their clothing was bad for the environment. For those who don't know, a fast-fashion company is one that produces mass amounts of clothing that is cheaply made.

I also went through their Instagram photos and saw numerous negative comments about the shipping time and the production practices of the company. Many wrote that the material was cheap, and people would be unable to resell it or the clothing would fall apart, so it would end up in the landfill.

I couldn't believe what I was reading. it was really disappointing because I was so in love with what I had received.

But I've learned that it doesn't matter how something looks on you or how affordable the clothing may be, there may be a darker story behind the company or brand and their practices.

With the lesson I have learned, I plan to now shop local or at places that are environmentally friendly, donate my old clothing to those in need (or places that provide for those in need), and make sure that I do my research before I purchase clothing online.