Oprah Shouldn't Run for President

Oprah Shouldn't Run for President

and neither should any other celebrities.
1678

Oprah gave a great speech at the Golden Globes, sure. However, a great speech doesn't mean you should launch a Presidential campaign. Neither does years of talk show hosting and giving away free cars. The Presidency of the United States isn't a gig built or designed for men and women who made their way through television and the internet. No, instead it's built for men and women who study and work for years in the job they're running for.

Donald Trump was a fun experiment into what a celebrity in the Oval Office may be like, but it has quickly worn thin. I think we can all agree another 250 or so years before another celebrity seems like a good minimum, at least.

Here's the thing about Oprah: she has no political or business experience. Donald Trump at the least was a multi-billionaire who ran an international real estate empire and could tout that as a pro for the economy. Oprah can tout her car giveaway skills, or maybe her elegance in speech-giving, but that's not going to get anyone very far in the terms of national politics.

In 2016, we had over fifteen really good, qualified politicians who ran for the White House and position as "Leader of the Free World." However, none apparently stood a chance against the Celebrity himself, Donald Trump. Since his election, Donald Trump has spurred a lot of very unqualified individuals into running for office, like Chelsea Manning, and given rumors about even more, like Kid Rock or Tim McGraw.

A celebrity politician has appeal. It's fun, fresh, interesting to talk about, and everyone already knows the person in question, probably a little too well. Yet, none of the same rules apply. Sex scandals mean nothing to these celebrities political careers apparently, their lack of experience is touted as a pro rather than a con, and digging up dirt is relatively easy, yet meaningless, as most everyone already knows it, or at the least expects it, anyways.

Celebrities can bring some unique things to the political table. They can drum up support for controversial topics they believe in, lead national campaigns like #MeToo, or they can even endorse politicians and help lend them votes. What isn't helpful however, is when they actually seek the office.

Oprah is uniquely unqualified to be President, and the fact that one really passionate speech at the Golden Globes drums up support and rumors of a 2020 run concerns me. The Presidency of the United States used to be a far-fetched, important, and specific job. Now, it's turning into a resumé booster for celebrities whose careers are just a bit past peak.

So, Oprah, and other celebrities, please take your money and fame and keep it in Beverly Hills. I don't like a lot of politicians, but they're predictable and at least somewhat experienced and that's perfectly okay with me.