Operation: Survive Recruitment 2014

Operation: Survive Recruitment 2014

2
Operation: Survive Recruitment 2014

For those of us who have gone through sorority recruitment-- either as PNMs (potential new members) or as members-- we know just how anxiety-inducing it can be. Because it usually takes place at the beginning of the fall semester, it is still incredibly hot outside and there is no way to get around it. As if it couldn't get more ridiculous, every day of recruitment is jam-packed with things to do and chapters to visit before it's too late. So how in the world can one prevent the exhaustion, nervousness, and stress of it all?

Although there isn't some magic secret to surviving recruitment, I've come up with some good tips that can definitely make a difference in your experience, whether you are a PNM or behind the scenes of it all.

1.Make sure you're extremely hydrated. Most chapters will almost always offer water, but be smart and drink up the night before, morning of, and throughout the entire day. You'll feel much better during rounds. For current members recruiting PNMs, hydrate in between rounds so you don't find yourself parched as you speak to people.

2.Eat a good breakfast. We all hear it from our moms, doctors, and the media, but seriously: a big, healthy breakfast can absolutely make an impact on how you feel throughout the entirety of the long days during recruitment. You'll almost always have a break in the middle of the day for lunch, so take advantage of it! You do NOT want to be dead tired and starving during a round.

3.Bring gum, mints, a hairbrush, chapstick, perfume, a mirror, oil-blotting sheets, and any makeup to touch up with in your purse. It sounds like a lot, but simply bring travel sizes of everything. Most of us already have these items anyway, so bring a cross-body bag or satchel to hold everything. In between rounds, you can do a quick checkup to make sure you feel ready for the next visit. Bottom line, your hair and makeup won't always be perfect throughout the entire day so DO NOT fret about it! Everybody is probably just as hot and sweaty as you are and have to go through the same thing.

4. Even though most days are outfit-coordinated, try and wear things that aren't too uncomfortable. If you have to wear heels, test them out a couple days before and make sure you can walk, sit down, stand back up, and so forth in them. Never wear a dress that is too see-through or impossible to sit down in because you will 100% want to take a seat during rounds while you talk to someone!

5. You won't want to hear it, but try not to get too messed up the nights before recruitment. Being hungover does not help in any way, shape, or form, and you want to be feeling your best so you can enjoy the whole experience. I promise, life will be so much easier during recruitment if you've gotten sleep and don't feel like you're going to puke every time you open your mouth.

I'm sure some of this seems scary to hear, and recruitment now seems like a special mission of some sort. Again, don't freak out! Recruitment is where you find the perfect group of girls to share your college experience with, so make the most of it and have fun. Using these tips will without a doubt help you enjoy the ride and remember recruitment with a positive mindset.