Why Don't We Open Up Sometime?

Why Don't We Open Up Sometime?

I want you to read this part of my story and make adjustments to your own life if you need. Know that your people are out there. You just have to open up sometime. This is dedicated to all of my friends, my confidants, the kids, my babies. You know who you are!

75
https://unsplash.com/photos/z1d-LP8sjuI
Unsplash

I find it comical how life works sometimes. I believe that most of the time, it's working in your favor; you just have to listen to it. Be open to what it's trying to teach you. Be open to who or what life brings to you when it brings it to you.

For me, it's been a long time coming, but I'll just start with almost two years ago. I decided to try and branch out and learn more about myself and the world around me. I said that I was starting my young adult journey of self.

At the beginning of this time, I was getting over an unrequited love, and everything in me emotionally was just at its lowest. I had decided to try and get out of my head, into the world, and ultimately into myself. I didn't know where these things I was starting would take me, but I just had to make the choice to start doing things to become more positive.

I started to look for help in public figures, inspirational speakers, reading, and spirituality. I would listen to TED Talks, read self-help books, books on spirituality, books on psychology, books by public figures who I connected with, and I also started writing letters to God.

These were just a few things that I picked up from inquiring about help or just listening to advice from others. As I said, I didn't completely know how it would help me or how long it would take to help me, but I knew I needed to do something.

A few months later, I was transferring colleges. This was my second wind on the journey. I wasn't feeling much different because of some things I was dealing with at the time, but I persevered. I kept doing those things, and I also decided to add a minor in psychology. With my new minor, I really just wanted to diagnose myself and see how what's happened in my life had affected me.

I should also mention that I actually was interested in psychology as well. In my first semester, I took Psychology of Child and Adolescent Development and Human Sexuality. These classes were very eye-opening, and I really learned a lot from both of them.

Along with my new minor, during the beginning of my first year at the new school, I started looking for things to get involved with. I tried out the radio station, the television club, and the film club. First, I tried the television club. I actually auditioned for a co-host on a talk show and got the part! I was proud of myself and glad that I found something to do that I was really interested in.

Next, I tried the radio station, but I didn't enjoy that as much and it didn't fit into my schedule. Lastly, I joined the film club in my second semester here. This was where things really started happening. My first time at the film club, I stayed a little after it was over and began talking to a girl in one of my classes. Long story short, she invited me to hang out with her and her friends afterward.

Just like that, I found my second family! I became friends with them right after a major shift in my life took place. I thank God for them every day because I literally do not know what life would be like without them! As time went on and we hung out more, we just kept getting closer and closer. We started to do so much together, and they were a part of the greatest summer of my life so far.

After a major shift in my life, I decided that I would like to try and move out and figure out something for myself. Now, if I hadn't met the friends I just mentioned, then I wouldn't have moved into the house I did at the beginning of the summer. Over the summer, it took me a while to adjust to my new living arrangements, but it's been about five months, and I couldn't be happier! It definitely took some time to get used to having random roommates instead of my relatives, but I would never trade my roommates for anything.

Over these past few months, I have had the privilege to meet one of the greatest groups of guys ever! They are all so positive, uplifting, and encouraging in their own ways. I can't describe them or what they have done for me in such a short amount of time. Now, I have a third family, and I get to live with them for now. Moving into this house was exactly what I needed in life right now! Believe it!

I know that took a minute to read, and that's only scratching the surface of what my two new families have done for me in very little time. I can't believe I am here now. I have never felt happier or more alive than when I am surrounded by the personalities and positivity of these people. I never want to leave any of them.

I find it comical how life works sometimes. I believe that most of the time, it's working in your favor; you just have to listen to it. Be open to what it's trying to teach you. Be open to who or what life brings to you when it brings it to you. This is exactly what I did.

I just started to open myself little by little, and I am the happiest I have ever been. If you're struggling, please just try to get out of your head! Your people will find you and you will find them. Trust me, you won't regret it! Follow your heart!

They say home is where the heart is, and I know I am at home wherever and whenever I am with these people!

Where's your heart?