An Open Mind And Open Heart Opens Doors In College (And Beyond)

Going into college with an open mind and open heart allows for the opportunity to form new relationships and become involved in things you'd never believe.

548
Sedona Meadows

When coming into anything new, many of us are quick to revert to what is comfortable. We don't dare to leave our safe bubble of "the known." But when we leave that said safety bubble, it can be surprising the amazing opportunities that await.

The transition from High School to College can be a scary one. It is sad to say goodbye to that strong friend group you had or those meaningful clubs you played a huge role in or your supportive parents and pets. That is tough. Trust me... I know.

But, with that said, it is so important to keep an open mind. And I know what you're thinking... "that is so cliché to say." It's the truth though. When you close yourself off to new people and new clubs/classes you're shutting the opportunity down to have an exciting future.

I know coming to Arizona State University I had no idea what to expect and who I would meet but I decided to be open and willing to try new things. And let me tell you... that is one of the best decisions I have ever made.

Being here only a month, I have already made incredible friends who have the same likes and dislikes as me but they also have introduced me to new thought processing and culture.

The door to involvement is so open and clear... like a glass door. (OK, I promise to stop making open door references..)

I know it isn't just at ASU but any college has many different clubs and organizations one can become involved with. And you may even find something that helps further your preferred career path.

I joined something I never expected to... a sorority. But I am so happy that I did because it has surpassed my expectations and pre-conceived notions.

I found something that truly matches my values and interests and I'm continually discovering new organizations that I want to be a part of.

If you just sit in your room with the lights off watching Netflix every day you won't know what the world has in store for you.

I say get out there, be seen, make friends, brighten your future. The future is now. You can do this.

XOXO

Related Articles Around the Web