Open Letter To My Co-Worker who Sexually Harassed Me

Thank you for the not so warm welcome and the sexual harassment at my new job

73

Dear Co-Worker,

Thank you for making me feel unwelcome doing my first month at my new job. Thank you for making me feel so uncomfortable to the point I didn't want to go into work each day and regretted my decision to take this better job. I took this job for a few reasons: the pay was better, they offered benefits and it was a lot closer to home. I thought this would have been a great learning experience...I was wrong.

Work shouldn't be something that one dreads going to everyday. It should be something that one enjoys (at least a little). I shouldn't have felt unwanted or unneeded during my time with you. You should have been showing me the ins and outs of the way things worked and not gossiping about all your and now my co-workers.

Now, let's talk about the sexual harassment.

Sexual harassment in the work place is never okay. I don't care who you are, how long you've been there or if that's the type of humor you enjoy. There is a time and place for comments like those and it's NEVER okay to make them in front of children or at work. I also don't care that the kids may or may not understand what is being said. By you saying these things, you are showing that that it's okay to make these types of comments is okay and that no one will or should have problems with it. I also shouldn't have had to go to the supervisor to report the inappropriate comments made around children and to other staff members that made working even more uncomfortable. I shouldn't have to be made to feel like it's okay or go along with those comments because "it's who I am". That's not an excuse and I'm not okay with it.

Leaving the building you work in has been one of the best things to happen the past few weeks. I don't dread going into work, I don't have to worry about what kind of sexual comments about myself and others I'll have to listen to for eight hours. The gossip has died down a bit.

But because of you, I can't and don't really trust those I now work with. You've made it too hard to knowing how much these people can gossip about someone. I keep to myself and don't go out of my way to talk to those I do not know yet. So thank you for ruining a new job I thought would be great.