An Open Letter To All Upperclassmen

An Open Letter To All Upperclassmen

Take time to invest.

185
An Open Letter To All Upperclassmen
Amanda Anderson

Dear Upperclassmen,

Congratulations! You are the leaders of the school. You’ve survived being an underclassman and all of the stress that goes with it – finding your way around campus, making new friends, learning to hold yourself accountable, and being successful without constant instructions from your parents. Though it may not feel like it some days, you know all the ins and outs of living the college life. I’m writing to encourage you to use the knowledge and leadership that goes with the territory to make a difference. I’m writing to encourage you to invest.

This year, I was given the opportunity to be one of many mentors to the incoming freshman class. I am in charge of welcoming them to campus, teaching them basic survival strategies, making sure they make new friends before they have to dive into college, and being a continual resource for them throughout their first year. While keeping up with these duties can be extremely exhausting, being responsible for their first impression of college has taught me a few things.

First, I’ve learned that how upperclassmen react to various situations largely influences how the new freshmen will react. If you have a super negative attitude about whatever activity you’re doing, or if you’re constantly talking about how bad the food in the cafeteria is, the freshmen are a lot more likely to act and think the same way, regardless of what their true first impression may have been. But, if you’re having fun and acting like you love school (even if you aren’t having a good day) and talking about how great your experience has been, then they will be predisposed to having a great college experience as well. Every time you get frustrated, angry, mad, sad, happy, excited – every time you outwardly express your emotions – they see it and they take note. So don’t act like you’re too cool or like you’re over it. Be excited! A positive attitude can have a huge effect on those scared, new youngsters.

Second, I’ve learned that underclassmen look up to us a lot more than we realize. They are literally watching your every move because you’ve already survived for at least two years and they need to know how to do that. You’re the experienced people on campus, the ones who know how to pass your classes and have relationships with your professors. The ones who are close to graduating and becoming real adults. The ones who seemingly have your lives together. They value your advice because, to them, you’re a super hero (whether they admit it or not). Surviving college seems overwhelming as a freshman, but you have the opportunity to help them understand that it’s definitely possible. Be encouraging. Give them advice on how to study for different professors, and share your stories with them. The more you talk about success, the more they’ll believe that they can be successful, too.

Last, but definitely not least, I’ve learned that forming relationships with underclassmen is well worth your time. It may not seem cool to spend your time with underclassmen but, trust me, it is. It’s cool to learn about their lives, their past, their likes and dislikes. It’s cool to build new friendships and to be a role model. It’s cool to watch them find life-long friends. It’s cool to help them through their struggles and to comfort them when life gets hard. It’s cool to watch them stretch beyond who they thought they were and grow into who they’re meant to be. It’s cool to be an important part of someone else’s life.

So, instead of staying in your comfort zone and keeping your circle of influence small and restricted, go make friends with the freshmen. Take them under your wing. Help them feel important and included. Love them, even when they think you’re weird and loud and crazy. Because if you take time to invest in the lives of the newbies on campus, odds are you’ll find that they aren’t the only ones growing. You are, too.

Sincerely,

Your Fellow Upperclassman