For The Friend That Went The Extra Mile For Me

An Open Letter To My Very First True Friend

I didn't even know that friends like you existed.

176

Let me start off by saying how much I absolutely miss you.

It's been almost six years since we spent time together, but even so, you've continued to love and support me despite our distance. I can't tell you how incredible you are.

Growing up, I didn't surround myself with the right people.

I had lots of "friends" in childhood, but they were of quantity, not quality. I was constantly ignored, left out of conversations and not invited to group playdates. When I was acknowledged, it was only to ridicule me or try to change me into who they wanted me to be. I grew up with a skewed view of how friendships were supposed to be. I thought I didn't deserve to have friends who truly cared about me for who I was.

That is until you came along.

We met in gym class in seventh grade, and we became close when the Universe placed us in gym together again in eighth grade. You showed me the one thing that was hardly ever shown to me: Kindness. You never once tried to change who I was. You accepted me wholeheartedly; something that no friend had ever done for me before.

Eighth grade was a tough year for me. I went through my first breakup, friend drama and many other changes that were emotionally trying.

No matter how difficult I was, you were there with me through it all.

I never felt the need to be perfect around you. You never told me I should dress differently, do my hair and makeup differently or act a certain way.

You accepted everything about me, quirks and all.

I wish I had been a better friend to you, and I am truly sorry for not reciprocating your genuine nature towards me. I am sorry for not standing up for you, for not putting as much effort into our friendship as you did, as well as not giving my best self to you.

You deserve all of the neon-colored duct tape, matching studded belts and jellyfish hugs that the Universe has to offer (I would say that I have to offer but my bank account doesn't match my love for those around me).

Getting to see you at my work the other day was the blessing that the Universe knew I needed, even if it was only for a few short minutes. You set the tone for my future friendships. You taught me what it means to be a true friend; something I really needed to learn.

You reminded me I have intrinsic value and that I should only choose people who truly value me.

You saved me from becoming my biggest nightmare: a bad person.

Thank you for helping me become my best self. I love you so much, and I look forward to the day when I can finally give you a jellyfish hug!