An Open Letter To Tri Delta National Executives

Former Chapter Presidents share decade long frustrations with Tri Delta National organization.

2210
Tri-Delta House IU

Dear Tri Delta National Executives,

We, the past Presidents of Tri Delta’s Delta Omicron chapter, have come together to share insight into the frustration that we each experienced during our leadership. We feel these issues were a key indicator of the sentiments that led to the removal of the Delta Omicron charter at Indiana University.

As saddened as we are by your decision, this does not come as a surprise to us. During our times as President, there was a consistent strain on the relationship between Nationals and our chapter. Through conversations with past alumni, it is evident that the chapter struggled for your support long before our time. We did not understand the uphill battle the Delta Omicron chapter faced until we became responsible for leading our chapter.

We have spent the last few weeks collectively reflecting on various times that we reached out for guidance and structure only to be disappointed when we either did not receive a response, or received a response that seemed to be a template applied across chapters. We can recall countless times when both the chapter and our advisors were shocked at the treatment and lack of support that we were given. Instead of receiving the leadership development that Tri Delta prides itself on, we were given little direction and few resources. When provided resources, they were from books and manuals not at all incorporating the fact that individual Tri Delta chapters may have differences.

During our leadership in Tri Delta, there were many times we felt neglected as a Delta Omicron member by our National team. We were twenty year old women trying to balance finding a career, completing school work, and ensuring the safety of over 100 women. Each of us dedicated more hours a week to being Chapter President than school work in order to try and help our chapter improve our standing with Nationals; however, we did not feel that time spent was reciprocated. Unfortunately, we felt fear of women that we were supposed to admire and collaborate with. We felt frustration at the lack of ability for our voices to be heard. Nationals made decisions that impacted the lives of over 100 women in a “black box” with little explanation to and no input from chapter leadership. We felt as though our chapter was never even given a chance.

We continue to feel a lack of willingness to have open dialogue and guidance as we all have reached out individually with little response and have received push back on communication from the national executive’s legal counsel. The difficulty to have any communication with the National team over the past few weeks perfectly exemplifies what we all encountered during our time in the Delta Omicron Chapter.

We are disappointed in Nationals for giving up on a chapter that is not ready to give up. We are appalled that you have put the women of the Delta Omicron chapter in the same category as fraternities and sororities that have been kicked off campuses nationwide for illegal and abusive behavior.

With 100+ years of establishment on Indiana University’s campus, Delta Omicron’s sisterhood is as strong and present as ever. Over 1,200 alumni have come together to fight for our chapter, and we have over 7,000 signatures on a petition that exemplifies the amount of support the current members have throughout their community.

Sarah Ida Shaw created a foundation to find brave and bold women that would fight for their sisterhood, and the Delta Omicron chapter could not embody those qualities more. We greatly wish that she were here today to share her disappointment in your decision, as well. Out of respect for our collective sisterhood, we ask you to reconsider your decision to revoke the Delta Omicron charter at Indiana University.

Sincerely,

Kristin Meta Delta Omicron Chapter President 2015-2016

Gabrielle Lewis Delta Omicron Chapter President 2014-2015

Anna Malatestinic Delta Omicron Chapter President 2013-2014

Tess Callero Delta Omicron Chapter President 2012-2013

Sarah Anstaette Delta Omicron Chapter President 2011-2012

Lindsey Logue Delta Omicron Chapter President 2010-2011

Emily Watkins, Delta Omicron Chapter President 2009-2010

Lauren Cross Margulies Delta Omicron Chapter President 2002

Carolyn Tweedle DeLuca Delta Omicron Chapter President 1995

Mary Wible Vertin Delta Omicron Chapter President 1989

Mary Ellen Peters Delta Omicron Chapter President 1978

Gloria Finnerty Delta Omicron Chapter President 1977

Betsy Donley Delta Omicron Chapter President 1976