An Open Letter To My Freshman Year Roommate

You quickly became a part of my family.

10
Alex K.

Dear Roomie:

From day one, you have been my go-to, my shoulder to cry on, and the one I turn to for support during my darkest days. Words cannot describe how thankful I am not only to have met you but to also to share a room with you. I know that I am slightly disorganized, and you can hardly find a speck of dust on your side of the room, but you put up with me anyway. You can tell within ten seconds of seeing me what kind of mood I am in; and when I am upset, I can count on you to have me on the floor laughing by the end of the night. Every time you walk through the door, I get so excited to see you… even if you’ve only been gone a half an hour. Generally, in that span of time, so much has happened that it's hard to even keep up with everything I have to fill you in on.

To be honest, I don’t know what college would be like without you. On move-in day, I didn’t think I was emotionally capable of being away from home and no longer having my family a few rooms away. But you quickly became a part of my family, and you got me through the first few months- well, let's be honest, you got me through this first year of college. If it wasn’t for you yelling at me to “get out of bed!” for my 7:30 classes, (and maybe hitting me with pillows a few times) there is no way I would have ever made it there… and then I would have failed out, and we couldn’t be roommates. So thank you for being my mom when my real mom couldn’t be there.

You and I are the only ones I know that can go from joking around, laughing at each other, to ending up laying on the floor together 10 minutes later, having an intense heart-to-heart at 2:00 AM. But that is our relationship, and I would not trade it for anything. You can take a joke, and throw one right back at me. I think we are the only ones who actually find ourselves funny, though… but we understand each other. That makes our roommate relationship even more perfect. Thank you for either laughing or crying with me at any hour of the day, depending on which one is needed.

All in all, thank you. Thank you for just being you. I don’t know what I’m going to do next semester when you’re off doing big things, and I'm no longer going to walk into my dorm after class to see your smiling face. It's going to be hard to adjust living with someone else, but I am so thankful I got the opportunity to live with such an amazing, funny, and incredible person for my freshman year. You showed me such an incredible time, and you helped me get the most out of my first year of college. I know you are always a phone call away, but that is not going to make me miss you any less! I will always be here for you; whether you need support, a bodyguard, or just someone to make you smile. I might have been blessed with an awesome roommate, but I was also blessed with an even better best friend.

Love always,

Your Roommate