An Open Letter to Tomi Lahren

An Open Letter to Tomi Lahren

Calling out the crooked narrative of young conservatives' favorite online journalist.

27
An Open Letter to Tomi Lahren
TheBlaze

Tomi Lahren,

Before I continue, I'd like to applaud your success. As a feminist, I am always happy to see women taken seriously as a journalistic and political mind. I was almost excited to watch your segments on TheBlaze and to properly understand a new, logical political viewpoint.

When I finally got around to watching your videos, however, I found myself missing the logic.

While I can always respect a political opinion, it is easier to acknowledge an argument when it is based on fact; you seem to only utilize the information that best suits the beliefs you hold. For instance, as with your video opposing Beyoncé's Superbowl halftime performance, you label The Black Panther Party as an organization gambling in violence and intimidation, yet this is not the whole story. With any large movement, there are extremists and violent proponents, but the core of The Black Panther Party was based on empowerment of a community that was plagued by oppression. While you say that the movement was trying to usurp all white people from power, The party's Ten-Point Program does not once indicate that they believed white men should lose their power, simply that black men and women should be given the same level of influence and opportunity that white men had, and that they would not support a government who neglected the needs of an entire community of black men and women. Any violence that occurred was not explicitly condoned by the organization itself, yet your focus on violence in this movement is indicative of problems with socially conservative belief systems. You turned a story to better suit your political beliefs, and sadly, people are buying into it.

This isn't, however, your only misguided opinion. Despite calling yourself a social moderate, your political rants have proven otherwise. In response to an obviously satirical internet campaign in which people ask Marvel to create a relationship between Captain America and The Winter Soldier (two male superheros, in case one, didn't know), your video in response laments the presence of the "homosexual lifestyle" in mainstream media, and tells the LGBT movement to keep their "social experiment" to themselves. Regardless of whether or not you believe that those who identify as LGBT are doing so by choice, to reduce their struggles for acknowledgment, respect, and legitimacy to a social experiment is indicative of a lack of true understanding. Once again, your political views are only backed by the narrative that supports your opinion.

Often, I find myself confused as to the consistency of your political views. For example, you claim feminism demonizes men, and then you yourself dedicate an episode of your "Final Thoughts with Tomi" to demonize men yourself, calling them soft and shameful because not all men can change a tire or enjoy physical labor. If you are going to chastise feminists, saying that it is more important to focus on someone's accomplishments and personalities without labeling them by gender, it is conflicting to then shame men because their personalities are not often enough stereotypically masculine for the women of the world. Aside from that, your view of feminism is also quite erroneous. The average feminist does not find someone's accomplishments more celebratory because that individual is a woman, but highlights the disparity between men and women by spotlighting women who succeed in lieu of the struggles they face. The average feminist knows empowering women does not necessitate misandry.

I implore you, however, to do some research. It is important to understand a topic before you build an opinion. As is the case with your views of feminism movements and the Black Panther Party, it is easy to focus on the few violent extremists, but a quick search into the platform and beliefs of each shows a well-meaning approach to societal issues. Being an economic conservative myself, it is people like you whom I hope to one day properly lead the GOP back to a respectable position, but before that is to happen, it is important that you properly understand the issues and beliefs you so readily shame before you broadcast your opinion.

If you do this research and still find yourself with the same views, then God bless you.

Sincerely, everybody who cringes when seeing a "Final Thoughts with Tomi" video on their Facebook news feed.

P.S. Your views on fracking? Seriously?