An Open Letter To High School Seniors From A Recent High School Graduate:

Your feelings are completely valid...

143

First and foremost I want to be completely honest with you. The reason I am writing this letter to you is because it occurred to me in a dream. In my dream I was brainstorming what I should write my next article on: I had ideas like 10 Things To Do During Quarantine" or "Why Boyz n the Hood is Relevant Today", but that's beside the point...because, then I started thinking about you and the enormous amount of stress you must be going through right now.

Listen to me. You have every right to be upset with this situation. You were on this amazing and crazy roller coaster called highschool. Many of you were buying your Prom Dresses, getting ready to slay that last Pep Rally, or most importantly getting into your dream schools and scoping out your new campuses.

I want to say that I can relate to what you're going through but that wouldn't be fair, because I can't. I got to go to Prom, go to my last Pep Rally, and take a tour of my dream campus. But, with that being said, I am hurting for you and with you. I myself had the next chapter of my life cut short as well: my first year of college. No more friends, or freedom, or independence...for now at least.

But you know what you do get? You get to spend time with your family, something that you won't have as much time to do as you venture off to college. Talk to them about what you are going through and form a stronger bond with your loved ones.

I want you to do whatever you have to do to cope with the loss of the finale of your senior year of high school. Cry, scream, curse… You know why? Because your feelings are valid and completely accounted for.

The one thing I don't want you to do is isolate yourself from the rest of the world. This is the time to speak your truth and cleanse yourself of your raging emotions. It is only fair for you to have the ability to hurt because by emptying your soul of that antagonizing sadness, you will have the capacity for optimistic growth and well-being.

I am sorry for the way that things had to be for you, but I know that you will get through this rough patch of your life. LOOK! There is a whole new world and life waiting for you after these unpredictable times become normal again.

Right now, you are all like caterpillars in your cocoons, but remember that in a few months, this will all be over and you will journey on to the next chapter of your lives like the graceful butterflies that I know you can be!

With love,

Nia'Symone Francisco