An Open Letter To The Man Who Adopted Me

7 reasons I'm thankful for my step-dad.

5092

You came into my mother's life, and accepted that she had a child.

I cannot express how thankful I am that you came into my mother's life. Not only did you come into hers, but mine as well. When my mom is happy, I'm happy. In today's society, it's frowned upon to date someone that already has a child. But that obviously didn't stop you. It's a relief to know that when I can't be there for my mom, I know you always will be.

You raised me from the start, as if I was your own.

I might not remember everything, but I do remember you teaching me how to do all of the basics. You taught me how to play sports, although I'm far from graceful. You taught me how to drive, because I give my mom car sickness. You taught me how to ride a bike without training wheels. You taught me how to attempt my algebra homework (which I definitely still suck at, sorry). You taught me how to make a manly peanut butter and jelly sandwich, even though my mom got mad because we used up so much bread. It was worth it.

You put up with my nonsense.

I know I've definitely said my fair share of negative things towards you, but you always put up with it and you're still around. Even though I'm a crazy kid at times, I'm your crazy kid. Thanks for always keeping it real, and not always ratting me out to my mom.

You've done nothing but shower me with love and support.

I know raising a daughter can be a handful, and sometimes I can be a little needy. (By a little, I mean a lot.) From driving my friends and me around, paying for me to go skating or to a movie, running to the store for acetone because I can't get my fake nails off, helping me get a job, driving me to work, and other endless tasks I probably put you through, I couldn't have done ANY of it without you.

You taught me what to look for in a potential husband.

Because of you, I know that men aren't actually the worst. They can love unconditionally, through the best and worst times of your life. They can hold their weight in the family. They can be involved in their children's lives. They can be stable, not in and out. They can be genuine, compassionate, and have patience toward their family. And most of all, you've taught me that not all men leave when life gets hard.

You actually want to be a part of my life.

That one's pretty straightforward, but it means more to me than you understand. Thank you for adopting me and taking on the challenge. Growing up, sometimes it was frustrating and hurtful trying understand why other people weren't around or involved in my life.

Thank you for being my dad.

It takes a lot to step up and take someone else's place. I'm so incredibly glad that it was you, and that you have a wonderful family for me to be a part of. You'll always be my dad and there is no one else in this world that I would rather have walk me down the aisle one day.