Women do not exist for your pleasure.

Women do not exist for your pleasure.

Street harassment is a huge problem that affects women worldwide.

34
Women do not exist for your pleasure.
Stop Street Harassment

Dear men who catcall and who think that street harassment is a compliment,

We hear you. We have been hearing you since we were young girls who did not even reach puberty yet. I can remember the first time I was catcalled by an older man. I was only twelve years old. That feeling of terror that I experienced that day never left me. Each time I decide to walk somewhere, I can’t help but plan out how I can respond to the men who decide that it is their prerogative to catcall me that day. As much as we wish we could pretend that you aren’t there, it’s not that simple. Whether you are two miles or six miles away, we know you are there. We just want to cross the street or arrive at our destination without feeling like we’ve been visually and audibly groped in a public space. I guess it’s asking for a lot, isn’t it? In case you were not aware, women do not exist for your pleasure. We were not created for male consumption and enjoyment. We should not have to deal with continuous harassment just for existing. Newsflash: we have the right to take up space. Sometimes it happens multiple times a day and others, we can get by with merely once or twice. When it happens just once or twice, we consider them the “good days”. Screaming obscenities at women on the street is not impressive. Despite what you may believe, it doesn’t make us glow, it doesn’t make our insides tingle, and it doesn’t make us want to sleep with you. Do not yell at me from across the street or from the inside of your vehicle as if I do not require the same common decency and respect that you so effortlessly hand to other men. Do not ask me why a “pretty girl like me isn’t smiling” because I will gladly tell you that I am not smiling because you are making me uncomfortable. I am not here to seek validation from you. So, men, the next time you see a woman walking down the street and you feel the urge to grace her with your presence – think twice and keep your mouth shut.