An Open Letter To The Undecided College Student

There are a few things you can (and should) decide on.

303
theodysseyonline.com

Dear Undecided College Student,

So you can’t decide what you want to do for the rest of your life. Ugh.

Much like in the “Bee Movie,” the phrase “for the rest of your life” echoes in your head as a constant reminder that you need to get your life figured out.

I've been there. And for the longest time, I stressed about this decision. I think this was because I wanted to find my "dream career" and not settle for anything less. And I still don't. But throughout my time in college, I've learned that you won't figure out your "life plan" overnight. Those who have seemingly have theirs figured out will most likely change it -- and you probably will too. In fact, a person changes jobs an average of 12 times during his or her career.

This is because we are all constantly growing. We are always discovering new passions, dreams, and skills. Some people do stick to the same path they started on in college, but many people don't. Don't feel as if you are limiting yourself to one path when you choose a major.

Keeping this in mind, it is still important to find a degree that is right for you. You want to find one with classes you enjoy and excel at. But with so many options out there, it can be difficult to decide.

Now happily majoring in a degree that I love, I would like to share some of the decisions I made that led me to finding my major. So though you may be an undecided student, here are a few things you can decide on.

Decide to step outside your comfort zone.

Join different clubs and organizations. Get to know people outside of your usual circle. Run for leadership positions. Volunteer and give back to the community. What ever it is you do, make sure it is outside your comfort zone. Because the moment you stop feeling comfortable is the moment you start to grow.

Decide to venture outside of the basics.

You know that film class you cannot stop thinking about? Sign up for it–even if you don't currently intend in majoring in film. If you enjoy the class, it could launch you onto a new path in the film industry–or at least help you discover a new hobby. And if you don't? Chances are the class will count as an elective so you won't be out any money or time.

Decide your favorite field(s) of study.

Going into college, I was told to figure out the exact career I wanted and to follow a pathway that would guarantee the greatest amount of success in said career. While it is important to work toward a goal, it is also important to explore all your options. By finding a field I love, I've discovered many career options that I didn't even know existed. So if you're struggling to find a career that's right for you, take a step back and explore the different fields of study your university offers.

Decide to shadow various professionals.

Talking to a professional can be extremely insightful if you are torn between several career choices. If you are interested in accounting but don't know much about the day-to-day tasks of an accountant, spend an afternoon with one. Do this with several professionals and try to envision yourself in their shoes–you'll get a better idea of what you want to do through this.

Decide to visit the career services office at your college.

This is a resource to take advantage of. Career counselors can tell you so much about the different degree plans your university offers and help you discover which one is right for you. My career counselor helped me analyze the results of several personality tests. Though I didn't figure out my "dream career" through this, it did steer me in the right direction.

Decide what is important to YOU.

Grab a piece of paper and write down the top qualities you are looking for in a career. What'd you put down? Are you hoping to rake in the cash or is money not your top priority? Do you want a fast-paced work environment that keeps you on your toes or a relaxed, routine-based job? Maybe you're looking for a creative outlet or a career that allows you time to spend with family and friends. Whatever you wrote down, make sure to keep these objectives in mind during your career search. Don't let others pressure you to choose a career based on how they define success–everyone defines it differently.

Decide to enjoy college.

Stop worrying about the future so much that you forget to enjoy the present. Finding ways to make your time more meaningful now will help you discover more about yourself and what you want to do with your life. This time is a gift, not a burden. Make the most of your time in college, and everything will fall into place.

If you decide on these things, you may not find yourself undecided after all.

Sincerely,

A Once Undecided College Student