An Open Letter To The New High School Grads

Leave High School In High School

30
Google

To all of you who have recently graduated or are graduating high school at this time, I have something I want to say to you. Most people say that graduating high school is absolute freedom and your life begins once you leave. While I agree with this, there are only reasons why it's true, and I'd like to share why that's the case. First, I'd like to quickly talk about how I've changed since graduation

Personally, when I was in high school I found it to be absolute hell. I had one close friend and that was it. I played on a sports team and while I was somewhat successful of a player, I still felt pretty outcasted on the team. My grades struggled and I suffered many relapses into a very depressive state associated with many other actions that followed. I thought that when I reached graduation, if I ever got to it, it would be freedom. That's not the case.

Whether you're going to college, staying at home, starting in a job, going to the armed forces, or something else, it's nothing like high school. People aren't there for the gossip and drama, and they aren't going cause they have to. They're doing what they want or what will better their future, whatever suits them.

Being a junior in college, I find myself to be very different since graduating high school. One thing I found about the "freedom" you get when you graduate high school is that it's really an attitude change. Don't bring high school with you for the rest of your life. After I graduated high school, my attitude definitely changed. I found myself to be much more optimistic, trusting, and open to other people. Basically, I got everything together and left high school in high school. I stopped focusing on the drama and gossip, and starting focusing on my own well-being, along with those I care about. I made sure to prioritize what really needs to be such as my academic success in college, my happiness, and my friends and family.

While most people see leaving high school and going on to do whatever it is they want to do after as a "fresh start," it's only a fresh start if you're willing to make it one. Keep touch with the people you'll want to see when high school's over and continue to be friends with the people you were in high school, if you want to be. If you're happy where you are stay that way, there's no need to change.

Personally, I've opened myself up tremendously to the people around me since high school graduation. I've tried and succeeded in looking at the brighter side of things. I've focused on more important things in life than high school drama and gossip.

You don't get freedom from graduating high school simply because you graduated high school. For me, it's because I changed my attitude, as I believe that's how it is for many others. If you want freedom after you graduate high school, and a new start be sure to keep high school in high school.