An Open Letter To My Most Supportive Friends

You have taught me so much... Thank you.
272

Here's to the friends who have been there for me when no one else was. The ones that were there to listen to me, and support me. The ones that have been through the good times, and the bad. This is for you.

In the past few years, a lot has changed a lot. We've graduated high school, went to college, gained and lost a few friends. We have both gone through a few tough situations and learned a lot during the time that we've known each other. And I just wanted to thank you for being there.

This is to the friends that have been there for what seems like forever, in sixth-grade P.E. class, who knew that something so dreadful could make something so beautiful, our friendship? It seems like you have been the most present in most of my biggest events. We don't really have a lot in common, and yet we've lasted nearly nine years. I am so thankful to have you in my life.

To the friend who I have known the longest, elementary school days are long behind us, and now we are both in college. It seems at times that we drift apart, yet we always seem to get back together. I showed you how to make daisy crowns and you showed me new friendships. You are there to laugh, read, and just get angry at the world with. You have taught me so much of the world.

To the friend that I have known for what seems like a short time, but I feel like we've been together for a lot longer than a year and a half, you were there to give me wine all those times, and to give me shelter when I needed it. You let me tell my story, all while holding my hand and crying with me. We need more adventures.

To the friend that was there talking about anything and everything for hours into the night. We may get into our fights, and I am sorry for those and any more to come because honestly they probably will. I am so thankful that I was able to share my first few years of college with, and I am excited to see where our friendship goes.

And this is for the friend that left, I know you probably will never see this, but I wanted to thank you, too. You have taught me how to have fun. You were there when I got my first black eye. You have taught me how to be independent. The hours we have spent riding our bikes until after the sun went down. You have taught me to trust, and how to grieve with you. You have taught me how to deal when someone leaves you. You, too, have taught me and changed me.

And this is those who I've failed to thank in this letter. You all have taught me so much. How to love and trust. How to apologize and forgive. How to grieve. How to celebrate. A new card game or a new hobby. How not to be ignorant on some subjects. I wouldn't be here without you. Thank you.