An Open Letter To The Spanish Language

An Open Letter To The Spanish Language

We've had a good run, but it's over.

6
www.crsd.org

Dear Spanish,

Wow, I can’t believe it was only nine years ago when we first met. I can hardly remember what life was like before you. We met when I was just an awkward seventh grader. I didn’t know much about you and was hesitant to start a new language and relationship, but you eased me into it.

It began so easily and quickly, but then, like any relationship, it began to challenge me. You got more confusing. Your rules became far more intricate; there was just so much to remember in order to please you and do you justice! For someone who appreciates grammar, it was so hard to be disappointing you and messing up yours.

But, we moved passed that stage and into the advanced (placement) stage of our relationship. You pushed me to better myself, to read more and to expand my breath of knowledge. You guided me toward different opportunities and showed me how diverse you were. At times, I even got a bit jealous, so many people use you and work, and I sometimes didn’t feel like I got enough time with you. Maybe it was my fault, too, Maybe I started to become complacent in our relationship.

However, we pushed through and emerged stronger. We took our relationship and brought it to school in Ohio. I think we both worked hard to maintain our commitment, but the flame started to burn out. I realized where my passion truly was, and it wasn’t with you. I’m sorry to have led you on. You’re a great language, but you’re not the one for me.

Thank you for a great nine years, for the confidence you gave me in my language abilities, for the lessons you taught me and so much more. I will remember our time together fondly. I think it's time we both move on to bigger things.

With love,

Sarah, a proud Spanish student (2007-2016)