An Open Letter To College Seniors With Senioritis

Being a senior might be tough, but you are tougher.

49
Google Images

Dear College Seniors Everywhere,

It's the middle of the semester. Midterms are happening, and your grades might not be where you want them to be. Or maybe they are where you want them, and now you're faced with the challenge of keeping them there for several more weeks. Your diploma is within reach, and your undergraduate education is almost done. As a result, you are done too. Senioritis is hitting you hard.

You have put in four (or maybe more) years of actual blood, sweat and tears to get this piece of paper. And now that you can all but see it, you're running on empty. Suddenly Netflix and time with friends seem to be higher on the priority list than that next lab report or research paper. The art of procrastination has been perfected. You stay up late doing various things that are not related to coursework.

So what do you do? You know that one way or another, the work needs to get done because that is what will get you your degree. The next lab report you've been putting off is one more grade that will factor into your degree completion. Here are three things you can do to get your life together so you can graduate with your degree in hand.

1. Perfect the art of time management.

You know that effort you have spent perfecting the art of procrastination? Take that effort and create a weekly calendar of when you are going to work on what. It works. Schedule times to work on different assignments for different classes so you can stay on track. Then stick to it. This way, you are scheduling around blocks of time for Netflix and socializing. By doing this, you stay on track with coursework and also have time to do other things.

2. Don't focus on the big picture.

We all have a habit of thinking about the next thing to do or the next step in our lives. But instead of doing this, try living in the moment. Focus on the here and now. Focus on what you're going to get for lunch or where today's study space is going to be. By focusing on the present, you can zero in on what assignments need to be done. If you're constantly thinking about walking that stage and what your GPA will look like at the end of the semester, that stress is going to make you not want to do anything.

3. Realize that you are not your GPA.

At the end of the day, your GPA is just a number. It does not define who you are or what you can do. If you end up graduating with a 3.0 instead of that 3.5 you wanted, that doesn't mean you're going to live a 3.0 life. You have knowledge, skills and talents that are unique to you. As family always said, you can do whatever you want to do in life. Don't hide behind your GPA because it is not you. To quote Dr. Seuss, "Today you are you, and that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is youer than you."

So seniors, a strong finish is still completely possible. There is treatment for this severe case of Senioritis. And while work is important, please remember to have fun. This is your last semester of undergraduate education. Go to dinner with friends because before long, you won't have them around you every day.

The end of the semester is right around the corner. So go out there and overcome your Senioritis. Show your school who's the boss.

Best of luck to all of you. You can do this.

Sincerely,

A Sophomore Dealing with the Sophomore Slump.