An Open Letter To A Rising High School Senior

Going into senior year, there's a lot to take on. Here is just a little advice as you start out the last year of high school.
7

Dear Senior,

Time sure does fly by, doesn't it? It's already your senior year, and I'm sure there are a ton of mixed emotions to describe how you feel about it. You're nervous because you know that this year will be full of goodbyes, last chances, and new beginnings. However, you're also excited for what is yet to come. Senior year is a time where new opportunities will come your way, new expectations will be asked of you, and realizations about your future will take place. Get ready.

Looking back on high school, my senior year to be exact, I can tell you something I lived by that I don't regret one bit: make the best of it all. Go to every football game, every basketball game, every PTA event, join every service club that interests you, try out for every team, and be friends with everyone. It really is the last time you will be able to do most of it.

I know that it may not feel like your last year yet, but come second semester, everything will start to hit you. Everyone you come across will ask you where you're going to college, or what your plans are after you graduate. Everyone will be talking about the ceremony. The best feeling of them all is putting on that cap and gown the day of graduation and letting it all sink it. However, it's all going to come way too soon.

Don't worry about what everyone else will think of you. Do not miss out on anything you could possibly regret. Wake up every morning for school just counting down the days to a new beginning. Make every 'A' possible, because they will count for something. Go to every club meeting. Build a relationship with every teacher, coach, counselor, principal -- it will make a difference. Wake up every day at six in the morning like it is your last day of high school. Pull an all-nighter just to ace a test the next day. Do every single thing possible to make yourself proud on graduation day.

Some people say that high school is the best four years of your life, and I'm starting to believe they're right. High school will be full of ups and downs for everyone, but as I look back on the past four years, I only look back on the 'ups.' I've learned who my true friends are. I've learned lessons. I have discovered the popular hangout places, the best coffee shops, and tips and ideas that will last through college and the rest of my life. High school is what set me up for my future. I took classes that helped me to decide what I want to do with my life as well as meeting people that will help me to achieve these goals. It was a never-ending four years of accomplishments.

Coming from a recent high school graduate, take my advice and live every day like it is your last day in that place. Do not look back and do not miss any opportunity. If there is any doubt about it, take it. You'll thank me later.

Sincerely,

A 2016 graduate.