An Open Letter To Open Letters

An Open Letter To Open Letters

Some questions I have about open letters.

225
An Open Letter To Open Letters
Unsplash

When I started writing for The Odyssey, the most popular article style was “open letters.” Every week, there was a new open letter about something different.

They aren’t as frequent these days (at least I’m seeing them as often), but they pop up every now and then and it leads me to ask the same questions I asked when they were all over the place.

Honestly, what is the point of open letters? I really don’t get it.

What even classifies an open letter? What’s the difference between an open letter and a regular article? What’s the difference between an open letter and a closed letter? Is there even a difference between these things?

What if someone wanted to write a closed letter to dogs? Would people be able to read it? I mean, what would be the point of writing a letter if no one would be able to read it if it’s not private?

Also, majority of these open letters don’t have, “Dear ‘blah,’” written at the top and don’t sign off on the bottom. That’s typical letter protocol, so is it really a letter if it doesn’t have that?

How did the letter become open? Because you published it? Would it still be open if it wasn’t published?

Honestly, was it your letter to open? Or was it someone else’s? Because you should know that going through someone’s mail is illegal.

Was it already open when you started writing it? Or did it open as you wrote it?

How do you decide what letters you want open and what letters you want to keep closed? You just open it?

How long does it take to write an open letter? Do the thoughts just pour out of your head or does it take you a while to figure out the right words to say?

When did open letters first begin? In ancient times? Or in the 21st century? These are logical questions.

There are so many “open letter” articles written and when I read them, I honestly don’t understand why they are called open letters. You could have come up with such a better title than just “an open letter.” I mean, if you’re a writer, you’re probably pretty creative. Don’t take the easy path and just title a good piece of work “an open letter to ‘blah.’” I believe in you.

Don’t stoop to open letters. There is always a way out. You always have a choice. You can do better.

#StopOpenLetters2016

***Author’s note: This is a satirical piece. I actually do understand the point of open letters after actually Googling what they are. I get it. It’s not a letter that’s physically open. It’s a letter that is addressed to a specific person or group, but it’s open because it often applies to more people than just that specific person or group. My mind is actually a little blown. It all kinda makes sense now.