An Open Letter To All The Pet's I've Lost

I'll miss you forever.

5
Laura Green

Having a pet is one of the most enriching experiences a person can have. They teach you about responsibility, love, and companionship. They become your best friend and a part of your family; however, as painful as it is, our furry friends do not live forever. They become old, ill, or a terrible accident happens, and they are taken from us or we are faced with a very difficult decision. Having lost pets myself, I know the pain can be unbearable. Pets that have passed on leave an impact on our lives forever, and while they're up there sleeping in their favorite sun spot and chasing all the squirrels they see, I want to thank them for spending their lives with me.

Dear Pets Lost Too Soon (Boomer, Tush, and Kimmie),

I want to thank you for all that you brought to my life in the years that you were here. It's still so strange to not have you greet me when I come home or rub up against my legs when it's dinner time and you're hungry, but I know you are in far less pain now.

Thank you for always sleeping at the end of my bed and keeping me company. Thank you for snuggling up against me and letting me pet you when I had a rough day. Thank you for letting the neighborhood kids pick you up even though you found it anything but enjoyable. Thank you for following me around the house, even when I just got up to go to the bathroom--and putting your paw under the door to let me know that although I can't see you, you're still right there. Thank you for looking at me with your big eyes when I was crying, as if reminding me everything will be okay. Thank you for making sure I was safe when we were out in public. Thank you for loving unconditionally and being my best friend.

I watched you grow old, and the things you used to once do with ease became difficult for you. I saw you start to move slower, eat less, and become less energetic. But even as you grew older, you never stopped being a valued and important family member. Although you were only here for a part of our lives, we were your whole life, and we wanted to give you the best life you could possibly have.

We still miss you every day, and although our decision may have been hard we didn't want you to suffer and did what we thought was the most humane and the best for you. Although you aren't with us anymore, you have left an incredibly large paw-shaped print on our hearts, and we will never forget you, and you can never be replaced.

Thank you for everything you did and for enriching our lives and making us so incredibly happy. We'll love you forever. Rest easy. I can't wait to see you again someday.

P.S. Don't give the squirrels TOO hard of a time.

Love always,

Your Best Friend