To My Parents This Holiday Season

To My Parents' This Holiday Season

Listen, Mom and Dad, I know Christmas is nearing… but you really don't need to get me anything — you've already given me more than I could ever thank you both for.

169
To My Parents' This Holiday Season
Alyssa Gormley

Dear Mom and Dad,

When I had come home for Thanksgiving break, the first thing I did was answer the usual college questions. Yes, I have a lot of homework. Yes, I'm really stressed. No, I don't have a boyfriend. And yes, I'm happy at Ohio University. But then you, (specifically Mom) asked a question that's not normally in our interview. You asked if my Christmas list was complete. Truthfully, I haven't had a single minute to think about Christmas let alone my list. However, (just for you Mom) before I left home I attempted to create my Christmas list. As I'm subconsciously listing items that aren't essential for my well-being, I realized I don't need a Christmas list. More-so, I realized I don't need anything at all... because I already have everything and anything I could ever wish for already, thanks to you, Mom and Dad.

19 years ago, you brought me into this beautiful world. And ever since, you've provided me with a life nothing less than extraordinary. Just thinking of how young I am in this life and everything I've already done — because of you — gives me chills, every time. Not a minute goes by where I don't think of how grateful I am to be here, living the life I live; loving the life I live.

I really don't need anything for Christmas. Mom and Dad, I really don't. But if I did have a list, I'd ask for one thing: that neither of you forgets how grateful I am for you and how much love I hold for you (both). It's been beyond an honor to have been raised by wonderful people like you both. I'll never be able to thank you enough for the constant support, sincere honesty, and overwhelming love.

Sent from my iPhone