An Open Letter To My Childhood Best Friend

Just because we don't live 30 seconds apart anymore doesn't mean that I forgot about you.

36
Laura Flammang

Hey old friend,

I know it has been awhile since we have talked, but I wanted to tell you how thankful I am for you. I may not live right down the road from you anymore, but you will always be my best friend. You know me better than I even know myself. You have been there for absolutely everything. You watched me grow from a weird little girl into a crazy young woman while giving me much needed guidance and fashion advice along the way. You have been my partner in crime from the beginning, from going along with my random health kicks to CVS runs at 10:30 to buy $50 worth of junk food.

You know when I am sad. You know when I am fighting back tears and just need to be hugged. We have had to pick each other off the ground and rebuild the pieces of our broken hearts. I have yelled at boys for you. You have yelled at boys for me. You are my protector- my feisty little sister always willing to step in when I don't have the courage to do it myself. You are ALWAYS there. Your unfaltering loyalty continues to amaze me as the length of our friendship grows and grows. When there is a family crisis, when I'm stressed out, when my other friends frustrate me: you are the first person I will always turn to. You understand how to comfort me because you have been doing it since we were kids.

The memories we have together are ones forever ingrained into my mind. Like the time I ran away to your house when I was only 2, when we watched Aquamarine so many times you hated it, our spring break trips to the beach, when we would call each other on Walkie-Talkies before we had cell phones, and so so so many more good times.

Just because we don't live 30 seconds apart anymore doesn't mean that I forgot about you. Not a day goes by that I do not find something that reminds me of an inside joke we have or some crazy summer night.

You are my forever friend. Don't ever forget that.