An Open Letter To My Mother As I Move Away

Thank you for everything, mom.

677
Gabrielle Molash

Dear momma,

Bet it has been awhile since you heard that one. Even though we don't talk about it every day, I know it's on your mind. I know that you're nervous,worried and that you don't want me to go.. But I promise, I'll be okay. Because of you, I know that the dish washer doesn't scrub the dishes, whites go with whites, darks go with darks, and that bedding should be washed every other week. I know you're excited for me, but worried at the same time. But you shouldn't be. You have taught me that the only way to succeed is to try. To put in all the effort you have and that your very best is all you've got. You have taught me to accept what is unchangeable, and to let go when necessary.

You carried me for nine months. You gave birth to me. You raised me on your own. Throughout the years, watching you has taught me how to be strong. I am thankful I had you as my mother. I never went to bed hungry, I never went unclothed, and I never felt unloved. You know all my flaws, and still love me unconditionally. I thank you for all the lessons you have taught me. But now it's time to let go. I know there will be tears as you hug me for the last time until December rolls around.. But know I'll be okay. I'll still call you when I need to know how long to bake the chicken for, what laundry detergent works best on stains, and if I should text my friend and apologize.

We don't always see eye to eye, but you will always be my first and last best friend. As I move away, I want you to remember one thing, I'll always be your little girl.

Sincerely,

Your Daughter As She Moves Away